Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlights came up on their own!!

blackandredvette

Corvette
2002 Red/Red Coupe, 1981 Black/Red Coupe
My cousin started up his '81 today and the headlights popped up while he was revving up the engine. The lights were off but will come on when he pulls the light switch out. But the headlights will not go down. I looked in my Haynes manual and they mentioned a manual control valve but didn't say where it was. Does anybody have any ideas of what and where I need to start looking at.

thanks,
Brad

On my 73 the valve is just about directly below the speedometer. Follow the dash down to where the metal turns through 90degrees and you should find a long skinny pin pointing towards the floor. Pulling down on this when the lights are on (raised) will actuate a valve that holds the lights up with the engine off.

While we're on the subject, when I first start my car the right headlight will raise up fully, hold the position for about 7 seconds, and then close. (It looks like it's waking up). Any suggestions as to the cause?

J

While we're on the subject, when I first start my car the right headlight will raise up fully, hold the position for about 7 seconds, and then close. (It looks like it's waking up). Any suggestions as to the cause?

J

I bet vacuum relay. You can swap the two relays to check.

... But the headlights will not go down. Brad

Loss of vacuum from the control line to the vacuum relays will cause vacuum from the tank to be directed to open the headlights. Start the engine and check for vacuum at the tee'd off center hose on the vacuum relays. Basically, anything that vents this control vacuum will cause the lights to open. Work your way back.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom