Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Headlights for 1980 vette

rockmeister772

Corvette
1980 Black/4 sp manual/t-top
I have a 1980 corvette and the headlights do not work now, and have never worked good. Does someone make a headlight housing that will replace the kind I have now.......like a fixed set of headlights that dont flip up ?

Leaking Headlight Actuators

Many times the headlight actuator's internal diaphragm is still good but the actuator rod seal is cracked and leaking vacuum so the actuator cannot raise the headlight assembly as the actuator does not have enough vacuum power. This is a common problem when the headlights don't go up.
The actuator rod moves the headlight mechanism to raise and lower the headlight assembly.
If you pull the actuators out, you will find the actuator rod rubber seals split from age and normal use.
Actuator rod rubber seals can be purchased separately.
I would also buy the actuator dust seals and the metal retaining rings (2) for the rubber actuator rod seals as the metal tangs which hold the seal in place might break when removing/installing the seals. Just use a small jewelers screwdriver to pry the metal tangs off and to bend it back in place when installing them.

The headlight switch has two vacuum ports in the switch with rubber vacuum lines going through the firewall into the engine compartment. One vacuum line is from the engine's vacuum port and the other goes to the vacuum line which run along driver's side of the front fender to the headlights vacuum relays located between the two headlight actuators.
Might want to check that the ends of the vacuum lines are not leaking from age.
I use a MityVac vacuum tester to find vacuum leaks. (The MityVac also comes in handy to bleed the hydraulic fluid for the brakes)

I would vacuum test the actuators before re-installing them.

Hope this helps.

I have a 1980 corvette and the headlights do not work now, and have never worked good. Does someone make a headlight housing that will replace the kind I have now.......like a fixed set of headlights that dont flip up ?

Ecklers have a fixed headlight set. I believe there are other suppliers as well. They cost around $350 for a set.

Gary
SAVE the WAVE

Curious how you remove those (2)hefty springs next to the actuator rod end just below the headlights ?
Had to use a small vise grip to pull the spring over the retaining shaft to remove/re-install...is there an easier way ?

Thanks for the help.

Check the relay first. It sends vacuum to the actuators. No sense replacing/rebuilding actuators if all you need is a relay.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom