Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlights misbehaving

Eric76

Corvette
1976 Black (Custom paint) Coupe
I just recently got my '76 back from being "revived" after 16 years. Last night was the first night I ended up driving at night - and now it looks like I have some headlight issues.

First time I turned on the lights - nothing happened - the lights didn't open up. I waited, rev'd a bit and the left one slowly opened but the right one stayed down.

After another minute, the right one finally opened - very slowly as well. I then noticed that the interior "Headlight" red light was on. But the lights were up and on.

Started to drive home and once I hit the highway, the interior warning light went out. I thought that perhaps it was just a vacuum issue after so long being stored. (even though the shop that did the work said they tested the lights and checked out ok)

So I thought everything was ok. When I got home, turned the lights off. The lamps went out but the lights are still up. Tried fiddling with the override switch but nothing seems to work. They won't close.

Any ideas?

mine acted the same way before i rebuilt my engine except they would open up but would not go back down. yet again, vaccum problems...after the motor was rebuilt, they work fine except the right headlight sometimes will not go down...i would also like to know if there's something i can do for this...?

You've got a very bad vacuum leak or leaks some where in the system. Could be a split or cracked hose, could be a bad relay or actuator. Just takes patience and time to find all the leaks. Try the headlight actuators first, they are a common source of leakage.

I have been searching for previous threads about this (here and on other Forums) and I saw one posting about a way to manually raise/lower the lights from underneath the front bumper.

They mentioned some "rod" that if you push/pull it will move the lights. I looked but couldn't see what they were talking about. I left a message, but does anyone else know what I should be looking for?

In the meantime, I'm reviewing all the hoses best I can. Thanks for the suggestions!

Definitely a vacuum problem. Check the hoses, you might be able to hear it. But it is probably the actuators and/or the relays up front. Any other vacuum-related functions acting up?

BTW, nice Vette!! Love what you did. :D

TR

Another item that gives problems is the vaccuum resevoir. Looks
like a cofee can. Mounted betwen the headlights. These usually rust out over time.

Good Luck

Enigma

Eric76,
i think the rod they are talking about is the one under the steering column (there is a small rod there), which when pulled 'manually' starts the lights up, and pushed in down. BUT: Same vacuum line used minus out the actual lights being turned on (If thats the one they are talking about). On my 82, i had issues with 2 vacuum cans, one after another, same one, but it was the same thing, it messes up the whole lights up/down concept. The cans (vacuum cans) are what holds/releases the vacuum and if they dont work, lights is a no go, rod or not.

Going out to trace vacuum lines today. Hopefully I can find the problem.

Question: IS it possible to manually lower headlights?? I read in the owners manual about how to manually raise them, but it said to lower them you have to "see your dealer". There must be a way?

If i remember right, once you open the hood, in front of that is the best access to disconnect the vacuum lines from the headlight assembly, then you could, very gingerly, push opened lights back down, BUT: if there is obstructions in the way, dont force it.. You migth mess up the whole thing. Good luck !

Eric76 said:
Going out to trace vacuum lines today. Hopefully I can find the problem.

Question: IS it possible to manually lower headlights?? I read in the owners manual about how to manually raise them, but it said to lower them you have to "see your dealer". There must be a way?

It's very easy to close them. Best bet is to lie on your back looking up through the holes in the bottom valance so that you can see the actuator, linkage and headlight assembly. WITH THE ENGINE TURNED OFF so that there 's no residual vacuum and you don't pinch fingers, find the metal rod that comes out of the actuator. There's a clevis at the forward end that attaches to the hinge mechanism. Move the actuator rod toward the rear, in other words, into the actuator body itself. This will 'unlock' the mechanism, and you can push the headlight assembly down the rest of the way from above. :beer

thsi might help. Im having a problem w/ one not wanting to come all the way up myself. Need to check the lines still

As usual, great suggestions from everyone! I'll have another go at it and see if I'm able to get them down.

Thanks again!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom