Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Headlights on a '90 not opening all the way??

hawker4611

Corvette
1986 Convertable 1990 Coupe
First time out at night with this '90 Coupe I just bought! Hit the lights and they would not open all the way. After looking everything over and trying manual, I noticed the right would not open while I was turning the knob clockwise, in fact it was "slipping back towards closed.
There's a squared metal arm right off the motor with what looks like a "shear pin" in it. Looks like this arm is free wheeling on the motor shaft. I can't find any "blow ups" in the FSM that show this arm or the motor for ref.
Anybody got any info or data on this problem???

This is a '90 with only 65K, so I'm sure it sat for many a moon if this makes a difference.;shrug;help

Each gear connected to the motor has 3 small plastic rollers that transmit the motors torque to the gear. The plastic roller fall apart over time. It's a cheap fix and all the Corvette parts places have them for about the same price. Since this is your first Vette and if you are a fair mechanic it takes about 2 hours per headlamp for your first ones. You can Google the repair or some Vette houses will include the instructions.

Thanks and I've heard of this repair. My worry is when I turn the manual knob, the lights do not respond in either direction. Do I need gears also or have these bushings reduced the gears ability to turn the lights???:W

Sounds like the plastic bushings are worn out and will not let you turn the lights up or down. I have a 90 also and had to replace the plastic bushings. It is an easy fix, should not take you long to do it.

OK, I went and ordered the bushings and new gears and found picture instructions on DigitalCorvette via Google.

I'll lock myself in the Garage for a couple hours when the parts get here. Many said it will take 2 hours to do the first one and 30 mins. to do the second, I beleive them..............Thanks:beer

Thanks Shrade, Great stuff for next Sunday Morn. if the kits get here by then. this should be easy with your help and I'll post the results as soon as done.
H

HeadLight Folleys

Thanks again Schrade, used your Steps today and rebuilt the Headlight Motors also using one from the internet Make Your C4 See Well.....
The right took just about an hour and a half just as everyone said and the left took 30 minutes.. I had new gears as well.
The right of course fought me all the way but finally lost.....
Headlights work GOOD!!!!!:beer Bushings came out just like the Pictures, Funny!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next project is rebuild the A/C Programer with the help of Brian Thompsom of Do It Yourself Corvette Free Information Project. Then the A/C control head which basically take it apart and clean the contacts and put it back together again..:bang
Frank

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom