Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headliner sagging on '02 coupe...anyone have a fix???

danc5

Corvette
2002 Black coupe, Stroked LS3 530whp/560lb/ft
The headliner in my 02 coupe is sagging so much now that its rubbing against my head. Short of cutting it out, are there any easy fixes for this?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!:)

Head line Woes !

FWTW, My C4 headliner was sagging and I got tired of it so I took off the top and found that the headliner is glued to a curved backerboard, which was held on by six velcro points and once off, I stripped it off, but the fabric wasn't so spiffy. I went to a fabric / sewing store and found a nice gray coored flannel cloth and I bought a 5X3 foot section and I cleaned the surface of the board, and used some 3M automotive carpet spray adhesive. I took my time, and slowly applied the new fabric and once smoothed out it was perfect. And by using the gray color rather than the original black, it sort of lit up the interior. That's what I did and I'm not all that talented. ;)

FWTW, My C4 headliner was sagging and I got tired of it so I took off the top and found that the headliner is glued to a curved backerboard, which was held on by six velcro points and once off, I stripped it off, but the fabric wasn't so spiffy. I went to a fabric / sewing store and found a nice gray coored flannel cloth and I bought a 5X3 foot section and I cleaned the surface of the board, and used some 3M automotive carpet spray adhesive. I took my time, and slowly applied the new fabric and once smoothed out it was perfect. And by using the gray color rather than the original black, it sort of lit up the interior. That's what I did and I'm not all that talented. ;)

Killain- that is exactly how I'd have done it. I've done a couple of headliners on Camaros and Firebirds the same way- but used the headliner material from Advance instead of flannel. Never though about flannel- that is a neat idea!

Headliner material

I bought a light gray and it was reallly nice and soft and once it was worked in and smoothed out. It was what i believe is vastly better than that thin cloth or whatever black fabric they used at the factory. It must have been good, my wife drove the car for two years before she noticed I redid the headliner. Of course she didn't find it 'Tastefully done' which considering we're divorced, is about par for the course. Oh and she never thanked me for fixing it either. But whatever. My wife has always said I only have two faults, Everything I say and Everything I do. . . . Women ! ;LOL

Thanks!

Thanks Killain! Much appreciate the info. Now I have a holiday car project to keep me out of the house and in the garage. Not having to spend time with gabby relatives and being put to work by the wife..priceless.

Headliner

Thanks Killain! Much appreciate the info. Now I have a holiday car project to keep me out of the house and in the garage. Not having to spend time with gabby relatives and being put to work by the wife..priceless.

I found it not too hard a project, just get a slightly over sized piece the backerboard, position in on a hard surface ( I used out cloths washer) I started with the center and did one side, then flipped it around and did the othere, smothering it out and into the adhesive as I went so when your done it's a nice smooth concave liner, after about two hours i went down and too all the loose ends and trimed them so only about a inche hug over, and i gluded the wrapped around the edges. These is a great time to make sure all the little " Velcro" fasteners are tight and don't need to be re-glued. Good Luck ! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom