Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

heads for the POWER freaks out there

AKRAY4PLAY

Corvette
'77 L-82, black on black. Full mod 406 small block
here is a site i forgot i had bookmarked. it has some 4 valve heads that are supposed to be direct bolt on kits for big and small blocks. they promise the world, but i have not seen or heard of anyone using them. if anyone has a set please speak up and let me know what you think of them. i am considdering buying a set for my all aluminum 454 small block project. at least it is interesting reading, Brian
http://www.araoengineering.com/Chevy/chevysmb.htm

multi valve head

It seems that Super Chevy magazine tested these heads, or something very similar a number of years ago. They might be able to send you a back issue. I don't recall ever seeing these heads on any featured cars in magazines or in person either. If I can find the article I will be glad to post it.
Troy: confused

These heads came out in about 1997 from a company based in Torrance, CA. Can't remember their name right now. Saw them at the SEMA show. Pretty pricey and still uses pushrods. If someone could design a 32V overhead cam design that would be the ultimate to me.

Looks cool. Expensive, but certainly interesting. I'd have to see more real-world info before I'd spend that kind of money on something like that.

For starters, though, since they list some flow numbers, what flow can you expect from something like top-of-the-line AFR's? Then compare to these heads.

Joe

I agree. I've NEVER seen these guys before. They could be a fly by night operation.

I'd raher have a motown block.

Fellas,
these guys seem to offer the perfect head, so i am naturally a little stand-offish. the numbers they are throwing around are better than AFR 227 comp and AFR 215 raised runner heads. total flow is about the same, but flow at .300 and .400 lift is advertized as considderably higher than AFR. i know AFR and they don't lie, that is why i like them. if these other heads truely are better flowing, then they might be worth it on a super comp engine. durability is the big thing i am worried about, there must be reason that these heads are not in the main stream. if anyone can find outside litterature like Super Chevy or Hot Rod, i would be more than greatfull.
Fred,
i am in the planning stages for a serious all aluminum motor. i am torn between the big and small block. if it ends up a small block, it will be a 454 in the 800-850 pony range on premium pump gas. if big block, i am looking at 572 ci in the 1000-1200 pony range. as far as a chassis, i am clueless. i don't have the heart to chop the IRS out of a Vette. so i would have to put it into a C1 or opt for another GM model. maybe a '66 Malibu or '57 two door BelAir. a '78 TA would be cool as well after some frame mods. the Chevelle is the most likely at this point. with that much power it will only be worth a crap at the track anyway. there is always the $20,000 paper weight option if things go bad, Brian

Brian, Who insisted on AFR heads about 6 months ago??? I was looking at everyones heads... YOU said AFR's(195's) and you won't be sorry. A 12 second 72 with 308 rear gears! I'm NOT sorry!!! Fred.

PS- I'm coming to AK if you build that monster aluminum BBC. FC.

Fred,
you are 100% right. i still love the AFR's, so don't get me wrong. unfortunately my machinist is packing up his things and moving down south, so i will be hard pressed to see these heads on the same flow bench as the AFRs. the Arao heads only flow about 15 cfm more than the comparable AFRs. the thing i am most curious about is the valve train weight and max rpm range. i don't think they would be worth a crap on a daily driver. with numbers that high, you run into the same problems that the old Ford Cleveland heads are notorious for, NO bottom end!! for now i will still stand by the AFRs, they still impress me every time i turn my Vette's key. so, the vert is still running tops, glad to hear that. i will post the full monty details if and when i get around to building a sick recycled beer can motor. just need time and money and the sky is the limit!! Brian
ps. it must be getting hot down there by now

Brian, It's starting to warm up!!! Keep us posted on the progress.
I'll be off the computer for several days... My dad passed away this afternoon.
I'll let you know when I get back... Fred

Fred,
i am sooooo sorry to hear the bad news. i am with Jack on the condolences of your family's loss. Brian

Brian, Jack, Thanks for your kind words. My dad was a big time team roper, he actually died of a heart attack on his horse. I know it sounds unreal but it is true.
Headed out to a convention in Vegas this weekend...may help staying busy. Fred.

SCAMMED BY ARAO ENGINEERING INC, RUSS ARAO

here is a site i forgot i had bookmarked. it has some 4 valve heads that are supposed to be direct bolt on kits for big and small blocks. they promise the world, but i have not seen or heard of anyone using them. if anyone has a set please speak up and let me know what you think of them. i am considdering buying a set for my all aluminum 454 small block project. at least it is interesting reading, Brian
http://www.araoengineering.com/Chevy/chevysmb.htm

In a word forget it. We ordered 32valve Ford Cleveland cyl heads from him on 2/1/06. Paid in FULL USD$11k + to expedite the order with a promised delivery date of 90days MFG. and so far we received some pictures and a whole lot of bull**** promises.

Unless you feel like throwing your $$$ down the toilet, don’t even go there, take it from our VERY bad and costly experience with Arao.

I can write you pages and pages regarding this order with Arao, but I will spare you the headache.

Short Story...On Saturday, January 21, 2006 6:26 PM I Kevin Gall made contact via email with a company located in California U.S.A. As you know the company is ARAO Engineering Inc. the owner is Russell ARAO . In my contact email to ARAO i enquired about a special order set of FORD Aluminum racing cylinder heads - a product ARAO advertises & manufactures. After receiving a reply and several emails i decided to place an order with ARAO The product is special order Automotive cylinder heads to suit a Ford V8 for racing use at a fax quoted cost of USD $11,000.00 manufacturing leadtime ARAO states on paper 90days for special orders.

On 31st January 2006 payment via Int'l Bank Wire of USD $5,500.00 & 6th February 2006 USD $5,500.00 was completed in FULL to ARAO Engineering Inc. Bank account. After several more emails to finalize details and special requests i was informed by ARAO were engaged and going. After some waiting i emailed ARAO on Friday, June 02, 2006 12:39 AM to ask if everything was on track, i received a response back from ARAO that everything was fine and on track.

Again after more waiting On Friday, September 15, 2006 03:05:42 i asked via email a good friend of mine that owns a reputable drag racing supplies shop located in Whittier, CA U.S.A. to contact ARAO by telephone. He spoke with Russell ARAO and he stated to he was waiting on parts from an outside supplier - hence the delay. In months to come i have made ALOT of repeated attempts in writing, faxes, calls, emails to receive a date for finalizing and completion of my special order. I still have not received a date at which my order will be finished.

As of today Sunday, Jan 17th, 2008 nearly two(2) years later i have not received my order from ARAO Engineering Inc, only BU**SHT PROMISES AND ABSOLUTE LIES. The only thing i have received is pictures of my heads un-finished. I believe i have been patient and understanding and more than reasonable considering that ARAO has not delivered as promised 90days to manufacture.

From my personal dealings I heavily caution anybody wishing to part with their money to purchase from a disreputable company like ARAO Engineering Inc. If you have any questions/comments please email anytime! ....Arao Engineering has been reported by myself to the L.A Better Business Bureau & also C.A dept of Justice ,The office of the Attorney General C.A. It is noted Russ Arao Failed to respond to any complaint(s).

**NOTE: I/We am willing to persue this matter all the way into a U.S Court. ANY support is welcome! This person/company CANNOT steal your money and think that it is right or acceptable -no matter what.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom