Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heater Box Restoration Questions

kbuhagiar

Corvette
1963 Convertible 327/300 3TL
Hello, folks,

Got the heater box out on my 63 to replace the core. Now that I have the box apart, I have some questions:

(1) There is some surface rust covering the metal partition in the box behind the heater core. Should I bother trying to clean it up? If so, what should I use? I was thinking about using naval jelly, then flushing with water, but I don't want to damage the fiberglass heater box. Any suggestions?
(2) Should I bother painting this metal partition? If so, do I need to use a heat-resistant paint?
(3) I will be replacing the foam insulation on the flapper door; what is the best way to clean & prep the flapper door surface?
(4) In order to gain access to the inside of the box, I have removed the metal cover that is riveted to the fiberglass. Is it okay to use regular pop rivets when reassembling the cover?

Sorry for the long post, but I only want to have to do this once...

Thanks in advance for all advice & information!:beer

(1) There is some surface rust covering the metal partition in the box behind the heater core. Should I bother trying to clean it up? If so, what should I use? I was thinking about using naval jelly, then flushing with water, but I don't want to damage the fiberglass heater box. Any suggestions?
YES, if you have access to a glass beader, bead it to remove all the surface rust. If you can do the whole box. Check the area around the mounting screws, they seems to rust the worse and they do break around the holes especially on the bottom.

(2) Should I bother painting this metal partition? If so, do I need to use a heat-resistant paint?
SAE is the best paint to use and it does not get over hot in this area, as it is moving air. But this is more or less your call. If you are talking about the door area on the inside, I think this is bear metal, in this case clean it and clear coat it...several companies sell coats for metals that prevent rust.

(3) I will be replacing the foam insulation on the flapper door; what is the best way to clean & prep the flapper door surface?
600 grit sand paper then go to 1500 grit, remove all surface rust. Now to get the grim off I use brake cleaner, with 000 Steel wool, work until surface is clean.

(4) In order to gain access to the inside of the box, I have removed the metal cover that is riveted to the fiberglass. Is it okay to use regular pop rivets when reassembling the cover?

You could but LIC and Corvette America sell the replacement rivits.

One other hint, replace the heater resister that is inside, looks like a small coil. and obviously use all new gaskets, all this stuff is readily available. I have replaced the motor while I did my whole thing....

EBVette said:

You could but LIC and Corvette America sell the replacement rivits.

One other hint, replace the heater resister that is inside, looks like a small coil. and obviously use all new gaskets, all this stuff is readily available. I have replaced the motor while I did my whole thing....
I have some of those rivets but I do not know how to install them; is there a special tool or technique?

67HEAVEN said:
Thank you, 67Heaven - great info in that thread! :upthumbs
Oh, and by the way, 67 Heaven (the car) is incredible - thanks for sharing all of the trials & tribulations of the resurrection with the rest of the world.

PS How are you folks Up North getting by without hockey, eh? :(
Down here we're missing our San Jose Sharks big time...

kbuhagiar said:
PS How are you folks Up North getting by without hockey, eh? :(
Down here we're missing our San Jose Sharks big time...
I don't know about the rest of the country, but the folks in Toronto are standing on the ledge of a very tall building hoping something happens soon. ;LOL

1 sandpaper and scotchbrite pad
2 yes and yes
3 wax and grease remover by ppg from a paint supply place
4 Too much work for me so I would say no.

before
heater%20box.before.JPG

after
htrbox.after.JPG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom