Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heater Core Replacement- 94

R

rmCole

I looked around and did not see anything specific to later C4 heater core replacement. Is it true that things changed in 1990, and the core on a 94 can be replaced from the engine side rather than from inside like the early year C4's? Chilton's has it from the inside for all years. How do I get to that thing?

Thanks

Heater core replacement

I dont think any of them come out from the engine side. On my '96 it comes out from the inside, and to do it I had to remove most of the dash. I pulled the seats, console, and all the dash internals. This was necessary to be able to move wires, relays, and ducts out of the way to be able to remove the box cover. The factory service manual detailed it all and made a big difference. I spread the work out over two weekends so I could take my time and get it done right. I did not have any leftover parts, and there are no squeeks or rattles from the dash.

Do another search,one member details pretty well the job with removing dash,

Heater core

rmCole, Just a thought, I did a core on my 79 and had to remove everything, the core must have been the first part the engineers buried. If your Vette is a fair weather ride and not a daily driver, consider by-passing it, which is just a loop or disconnect core and add a small pipe in between hoses.

thanks

Thanks everyone for the help. I just bought her and the core was already by-passed. Based on what I see here, I need to check it out further while still in the car and make sure it's really the core that is bad.

I tried using a bike tube connected direct to the core to pressure it up, but it kept leaking at the connection, so no good results. I may just hook it back up and wait for the flood.

Thanks

Heater core

The heater core only has 15 to 18 psi during normal operation (whatever the radiator cap pressure is) so don't over pressure it doing testing.
Unless you really need heat, consider leaving it bypassed. There are other reasons than leak to bypass the core - usually a stuck door or if the heater control is slightly out of adjustment - to make the A/C work better. If it leaks antifreeze into your carpets it will be a real stinky mess.
I'd test it with air at about 20psi and check the leak down - IF - I really needed the heat.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom