Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heater Core Replacement

BSH

Having researched the web and reading that replacing the heater core on my 1986 was a horrible job I dove in anyway. After removing a great deal of the dash, the ducting and the ECM just getting the heater core housing off was the biggest chrore especially accessing the two upper screws. With the new core in place getting those two upper screws back in the housing took some thought.

Here is my tip: With the housing still off fill the upper two screw holes with silicone and stand the two screws up in the holes and allow the silicone time to set up. Now you can place the housing in position and the screws stay in place until you can get a driver on to tighten them up. The rest of the reassembly was time consuming but easy.

The part # of a C-4 heater core is 0001.
The book should read:
1. Remove car
2. Place new core in garage
3. Rebuild car around core.

It has been 2 years since I replaced mine and I still wake up dreaming about that last screw on the right.
:w

At a Eureka Springs event a few years back, Gordon Killabrew was asked about changing the heater core on an 87'. He jokingly (maybe) told the owner to sell the car. LOL!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom