Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heater fan has broken blade.

wildwilly

Corvette
2002 Black Z06
Any help on take it to dealer or is this something I can do with modest hand tools?

Are you sure it is the blade?? It has a squirral cage type fan wheel. Have you removed the fan? I have a spare fan wheel.

broken fan?

I will see if I can pull it tomorrow. Thanks it can get cold up here at 6000 ft.

Most likely the fan sucked in a leaf and the fan is no longer balanced and now it sounds like a blade missing (if there were blades).

Same probblem on 04

This spring started same problem with bad fan speed sensitive vibration. Probably not a broken blade on fan. Suspect that what we call a "mud dauber" got into area and put his nest on the fan. It does not make a good balance weight.

Hope someone has an easy way to check the fan.

This spring started same problem with bad fan speed sensitive vibration. Probably not a broken blade on fan. Suspect that what we call a "mud dauber" got into area and put his nest on the fan. It does not make a good balance weight.

Hope someone has an easy way to check the fan.

I almost fell over when I saw what they use to balance these fan wheels with. They use small staples as weights. The problem is that any out of balance causes premature motor bearing failure. This could be the cause of the vibration and noise. It was in my case. The swap is extremely easy. Just shop around for the fan, because they can get expensive if you don't go to the right place. Don't go to the dealer. I bought mine on ebay. I paid $40.00.
To remove the fan, go under the dash at the passenger side and look up. There it is, the fan in your face. Remove three 5/16 bolts, unplug the fan and remove it. Reinstall new fan. Your done. Oh ya, hit the switch ah, no noise. :L

I almost fell over when I saw what they use to balance these fan wheels with. They use small staples as weights. The problem is that any out of balance causes premature motor bearing failure. This could be the cause of the vibration and noise. It was in my case. The swap is extremely easy. Just shop around for the fan, because they can get expensive if you don't go to the right place. Don't go to the dealer. I bought mine on ebay. I paid $40.00.
To remove the fan, go under the dash at the passenger side and look up. There it is, the fan in your face. Remove three 5/16 bolts, unplug the fan and remove it. Reinstall new fan. Your done. Oh ya, hit the switch ah, no noise. :L
don't forget to disconnect the battery

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom