Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HEI Distributor recommendations for 1982 5.7 Crossfire

nashville68bird

Corvette
1982 Collector
I would like to hear any recommendations you all may have for replacing my Distributor Assembly for my 1982 Collector Edition 5.7 Liter CrossFire Engine. Thanks in advance.

Nothing wrong yet, but I figure the assembly has 82K miles on it, and the rotor cap failed on me a few weeks ago. I prefer PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE as opposed to REACTIVE. ;) We aviation folks prefer to replace old parts before they fail.

What failed last time was poor quality aftermarket junk- which you replaced with more poor quality aftermarket junk.

Throw it all away and use OEM GM stuff.

Nothing wrong yet, but I figure the assembly has 82K miles on it, and the rotor cap failed on me a few weeks ago. I prefer PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE as opposed to REACTIVE. ;) We aviation folks prefer to replace old parts before they fail.

Vettehead Mikey is right, keep the OEM distributer, they can be fixed and repaired if necessary but I doubt you will have a problem, even at 80k.

I would also use OEM or AC Delco tune up parts for cap, rotor, and spark plugs. Those are wearable items, but a distributer really isn't unless there is a problem.

In the past I found one other brand that sells HP HEI distributor. Problem is with the ECM control there isn't to much around. If your other engineparts are stock then just keep it stock i would say.

Greetings Peter

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

What failed last time was poor quality aftermarket junk- which you replaced with more poor quality aftermarket junk.

Throw it all away and use OEM GM stuff.

That is a pretty pathetic comment, there Mikey. I've had many high performance cars over the years that had and still have high-quality aftermarket components installed, as have many other folks here on this website. You get what you pay for.

In the past I found one other brand that sells HP HEI distributor. Problem is with the ECM control there isn't to much around. If your other engineparts are stock then just keep it stock i would say.

Greetings Peter

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

No matter how highly modified a street engine might be, an aftermarket ignition system has no advantage over the stock GM HEI. There is no connection between the 'strength' of a spark and the power the engine creates. Either the spark ignites the air fuel mixture, or it doesn't. There's no middle ground.

The stock GM unit puts out more than twice the voltage required to ensure that this happens.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom