Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hello from Queensland Australia

G'day Hib,

If you have a vehicle over 30 years old, in Australia you can register it left hand drive. However it has to meet some Australian Design Rules (ADR) requirements, which means some changes. For vettes like mine its not too bad, just headlights and seat belts. Other american cars you need to change taillights or add reflectors. For instance mustangs you have to change the reversing lights to indicators (an easy way to have flashing amber lights at the rear).

Back to us - the lights from a LHD car have a pattern on the lens point into the right side of the road, into on coming traffic for us. So we replace them - not expensive for a C3 corvette at all. Seat belts though are a bigger hassle. They have to meet the ADRs and are therefore modern and don't suit the car. I had to replace with ugly black belts with modern buckle arrangments, removing the nice matching trim belts and buckles that were in nice condition in the car. Good point though there is a belt set that fits vettes really well and do not mean any change to fittings or mountings. Other makes not so lucky. It is not worth changing the belts back, it is worth the safety and not worth the penalty.

Finally you have an engineer certify the changes and mounts a plate in the engine bay. That's the expensive bit. But still so much easier and cheaper than a RHD conversion!!

Bit warm here today in sunny QLD! Bye Peter:thumb

Sounds like a lot of work but, no doubt, it's far less complex than converting the car to RHD.

Hadn't considered the headlight issue as far as how you Aussies drive on the wrong side of the road.
:)

The seatbelt thing is curious....you have to change the seat belts to "update" their material and buckling mechanism?

As for the engineer who has to "approve" the work, how do you find the appropriate engineer and, as far as the Australian government is concerned, what constitutes an "engineer"?

Just an update on the beautiful car!

Still running very well, and remains very low kilometres due as it garage sits a bit too much! I guess the symptoms of a sitting car is that everytime I do drive it something happens. Second last time the auto aerial decided to break and its motor would not stop running. So i had to find the right fuse to stop it running. Found it, now I have no interior lights and the clock is now off. The aerial fix is typical broken stem I here, just need to remove the antenae unit and replace the stem. Trouble is removing the unit or rather getting to it I hear. Fortunately my son has repaired these electric anteneas before on other cars so I'll enlist his help.

And last time last weekend on a Sunday cruise a loud screaming sound penetrated the cabin. Stopped car immediately. Turned off a/c and sound stops. So its the a/c bearings are shot. Not too bad a problem. But this sort of stuff I guess is what to expect from a car used so little.

Anyway I've yet to fix those things but must do soon.
Very hot in QLD now (35 degrees C), must open up the garage to let some air in! Bye:thumb all Peter

Mission Impossible

Hi everyone again. Look what's in the garage! Mission accomplished! A 1979 very original machine - pristine from the original owner and 29,000 miles!

Nice ride, real rare find looks pristine :thumb

Bill :w

Still running very well, and remains very low kilometres due as it garage sits a bit too much! I guess the symptoms of a sitting car is that everytime I do drive it something happens. Second last time the auto aerial decided to break and its motor would not stop running. So i had to find the right fuse to stop it running. Found it, now I have no interior lights and the clock is now off. The aerial fix is typical broken stem I here, just need to remove the antenae unit and replace the stem. Trouble is removing the unit or rather getting to it I hear. Fortunately my son has repaired these electric anteneas before on other cars so I'll enlist his help.

And last time last weekend on a Sunday cruise a loud screaming sound penetrated the cabin. Stopped car immediately. Turned off a/c and sound stops. So its the a/c bearings are shot. Not too bad a problem. But this sort of stuff I guess is what to expect from a car used so little.

Anyway I've yet to fix those things but must do soon.
Very hot in QLD now (35 degrees C), must open up the garage to let some air in! Bye:thumb all Peter

This should keep you busy and out of trouble :eyerole

Intersting read . . . . . . Love in when Vettes find their way to other countries

Finally you have an engineer certify the changes and mounts a plate in the engine bay. That's the expensive bit. But still so much easier and cheaper than a RHD conversion!!

This is very interesting, the differances in countries and designs :m

some photos from my first show

Hi everyone, taken a while to add the photos, here are some I hope you like, at redcliffe near Brisbane Australia
thanks Peter:eyerole July-August 2012 722 (600x800).jpgJuly-August 2012 732 (800x600).jpgJuly-August 2012 726 (800x600).jpgJuly-August 2012 728 (600x800).jpgJuly-August 2012 729 (800x600).jpgJuly-August 2012 740 (800x600).jpg

Very nice! I like the metallic brown color.

Hi everyone, taken a while to add the photos, here are some I hope you like, at redcliffe near Brisbane Australia
thanks Peter:eyerole

attachment.php

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the pix.
Enjoy your C3 AND the CAC!
:wJane Ann

I like the metallic brown... Awesome!!

-Mac

Welcome Aboard. . . . . . . .

Hello from Queensland Australia

Welcome to Corvette Action Center :happyanim:

conversions left to right

Hi Guys, I've been a member here for years, but haven't been on for a while and yes another Queenslander. We actually have a very active club here. Actually three clubs here.
QLD Corvette Club - Home Page
Corvettes Down Under Car Club
Australian Chevrolet and Corvette Links
I'm proud owner of a 1991 ZR1
Conversions are done by several people over here and the most professional is American Car Imports | Corvettes For Sale | Right Hand Drive Conversions | Steering Conversion | Welcome to Performax International:beer

Peter I am from QLD as well and have lived in the USA for more than 10 years. I just bought a 1994 Corvette and plan on bringing it home. I qualify to bring it in as a personal vehicle and thus avoid a bunch of tax, etc given that I have been away for so long. I am going to have to get it RHD'ed when I get home. Have you heard of any good shops that do the conversion and do you know what the price is?
Onya M8.

Welcome back . . . . .

Hi Guys, I've been a member here for years, but haven't been on for a while and yes another Queenslander. We actually have a very active club here. Actually three clubs here.

Very interesting, don't be a stanger :happyanim:

Very nice! I like the metallic brown color.

Thanks i'm glad a couple of you like the colour. Its still the original paint, and its got a few blemishes now. the paint is a bit thin in places and probably polished a few too many times. It has those cracked or crazed marks in some of the more exposed ares on top of the guards (I think you would call them "fenders") and on the top of the rear around the rear window area. I'll have to bite the bullet and get it re-done. Seems a shame in a way. My wife says I should stick to this colour, and although I really like gold in corvettes, the metallic brown is right for this car I think.

Bye Peter, (too hot to go outside today!):cool
:cool:cool:cool:cool

Bye Peter, (too hot to go outside today!):cool
:cool:cool:cool:cool

Just curious ;shrug what is the temperature over there this time of the year?

I's winter where I'm at, we just get rid of a few feet of snow and single digit temperatures.

It's not been bad this week-end other the rain but it's been mild

Just curious ;shrug what is the temperature over there this time of the year?

I's winter where I'm at, we just get rid of a few feet of snow and single digit temperatures.

It's not been bad this week-end other the rain but it's been mild

Hi Bill well its been consistently hot for a few weeks (about 35 to 38 where I live), but now we've been experiencing the aftermath of tropical cyclone Oswald, so instead of high temps, we're stuck inside due to pouring rain! I'm not complaining though, our house is not troubled by flooding like many others. The power has been out now for almost 24 hours. From the large flooding in 2011, where we were cut off and without power for days, I bought a generator that now keeps us happy at home as I write this.
All the best Peter

Love your country

Hi everyone again. Look what's in the garage! Mission accomplished! A 1979 very original machine - pristine from the original owner and 29,000 miles!

Everything untouched and a car that is a very young 33. Even had the original tyres (but not safe, they were replaced immediately), keys, invoice, handbook, etc etc. The carpets were covered by carpet pieces, and rubber so underneath is perfect. Seats are as new, all interior as new. All interiors lights, radio, clock, switches are fully functional and original. Even the "unleaded fuel only" sticker is there in place below the fuel flap. The only thing that is not immaculate is the paint, as over years of cleaning and polishing is a little thin in places.

The other story of course is getting the car reistered in Australia involves an engineers compliance plate. That's achieved after getting the car complliant with our safety laws. For a corvette that's new seat belts and headlights. Not too bad. Then there are all the fees and charges we have, the paperwork mountain and some nice new personalsed plates - do you like them?

It took a long time to find this car, but I was patient and did not settle for a compromise. Actually I did not think I would find a car quite as low in miles or as untouched, but they are out there!

hope everyone is well and there are some more stories I can tell about the car in some more posts later, Peter:LView attachment 7601
Glad you found your car,,,I got my first at 20 years of age, a new 1967 427. Had more since just seems a shame you had to go thru all the trouble to get yours. I have been around your country many times in my life,,we have the cars you have the country. I have a brother with a 1968 big block drop top,,,its been in his pole barn for many years. I thought about it the first time i was your post, but he said he (MAY STILL FIX IT UP) what a laugh.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom