Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hello from Queensland Australia

PeterF

:v Hi, just joined today. Will have to work out the way to add pictures and things. But greetings from Sunny QLD. I am yet to own a corvette but I'm close to being able to get there now that I more or less have the means! US cars are very popular in Aust, especially the 50s/60s ones as they were like our own. I'm keen on the 68-72 vintage, and have been spending many hours on the internet searching. In Australia many people import the cars privately, as our laws allow cars 30 years+ to remain left hand drive and only small changes to lights and seat belts. It costs about $1,200 to have those changes done. I'm looking to get a car locally though, as bringing a car from overseas has its risks and I think I'd be safer to see the car in person. Good to be part of your group, Peter.

Peter, welcome to CAC. We here in America take for granted (as a whole), the availability of those cars. Sometimes it takes someone like yourself to wake us up the fact of what some people have to go through to own, what we see and take for granted. Thanks for the wake up call, and I hope that your dream comes true very soon.

Welcome to the CAC. Good luck on your Corvette search.

Tom

G'day mate! Welcome to the :CAC

As Tom said, when we were able to realize our dreams of Corvette ownership, the obstacles to overcome didn't include the possibility of having to search for one on another continent. I hope your search will be made easier and faster with the help of the internet and membership here. We have a great group of Corvette enthusiasts on our board and many will delight in helping you along.

Toward that end, there are a few things we can offer to help you in your search:

1968 - 1982 Corvettes

1984 - 1996 Corvettes

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Buying a Corvette

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Model Center

As for photo posting, avatars, signatures and such, check the sticky threads in this forum for guidance:

Site Help & Feedback

Good luck with your quest!
:wJane Ann

Welcome aboard, Corvette brother from down under!! :)

-Mac

Welcome to the Forum PeterF. :w I hope you find the right Corvette and the right color. Good luck.

Welcome to CAC!!
enjoy!!!
good luck with your search!!!

Welcome PeterF, American auto's are popular in Sweden, Norway, etc also. Hope someday you have what your looking for, just don't go in the water, those friggin Great Whites give me the creeps.:beer

Thanks everyone for a great welcome!

Its really terrific to have such a great reception. Thanks for the help already I'll check out the links some aof you added for me. I loved some of the pictures you added too. As for the search, a nice gold or silver roadster (70-72) with airconditioning would be the way to go! I'll need to be patient though, and when something possible comes along, not rush and regret it. As I get the hang of postiing I'll let you know how the search goes! Peter:welcome

Didn't dream it did it!

Hi everyone again. Look what's in the garage! Mission accomplished! A 1979 very original machine - pristine from the original owner and 29,000 miles!

Everything untouched and a car that is a very young 33. Even had the original tyres (but not safe, they were replaced immediately), keys, invoice, handbook, etc etc. The carpets were covered by carpet pieces, and rubber so underneath is perfect. Seats are as new, all interior as new. All interiors lights, radio, clock, switches are fully functional and original. Even the "unleaded fuel only" sticker is there in place below the fuel flap. The only thing that is not immaculate is the paint, as over years of cleaning and polishing is a little thin in places.

The other story of course is getting the car reistered in Australia involves an engineers compliance plate. That's achieved after getting the car complliant with our safety laws. For a corvette that's new seat belts and headlights. Not too bad. Then there are all the fees and charges we have, the paperwork mountain and some nice new personalsed plates - do you like them?

It took a long time to find this car, but I was patient and did not settle for a compromise. Actually I did not think I would find a car quite as low in miles or as untouched, but they are out there!

hope everyone is well and there are some more stories I can tell about the car in some more posts later, Peter:LP1130009.jpg

Congrats Peter!! Only 29,000 original miles - it sounds like an incredible find!! :cool!:

Don't be shy... post up info as you go about getting it registered and be sure to share more photos. We love Corvette photos. :thumb

In fact, I'll enlarge this one for you.

BTW - love the tag!

:wJane Ann

attachment.php

A couple more photos

16 Jan 11 Corvettes 088.jpg
16 Jan 11 Corvettes 070.jpg
16 Jan 11 Corvettes 082.jpg
Weekend at last but its too wet to drive the new machine today, the driveway is washed out and it may be living in the garage for a while. Had some trouble with the internet not responding, i would have added more photos, Peter:)

That is "pretty".
My daughter lives in Sydney. Enjoy your new "toy"

Darryl

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 74
G'day Mate - Fellow Aussie living in Florida getting ready to bring one home

Peter I am from QLD as well and have lived in the USA for more than 10 years. I just bought a 1994 Corvette and plan on bringing it home. I qualify to bring it in as a personal vehicle and thus avoid a bunch of tax, etc given that I have been away for so long. I am going to have to get it RHD'ed when I get home. Have you heard of any good shops that do the conversion and do you know what the price is?
Onya M8.

Peter I am from QLD as well and have lived in the USA for more than 10 years. I just bought a 1994 Corvette and plan on bringing it home. I qualify to bring it in as a personal vehicle and thus avoid a bunch of tax, etc given that I have been away for so long. I am going to have to get it RHD'ed when I get home. Have you heard of any good shops that do the conversion and do you know what the price is?
Onya M8.

Hello, unfortunately, I do not. I am in California. Good Luck with your 94!
:w

RHD conversions in QLD

Hi M8, this is Peter from near Brisbane in QLD. There are a few RHD conversion outfits here, however I have no first hand knowledge on their quality or cost. I recommend you contact the corvette clubs, or post on their websites and ask. there are two clubs here locally and they should be able to assist. Do a google search and you will find them. I hope to see your machine on the roads here soon!!!:happyanim:

Welcome to the CAC, "PeterF".

Jus' curious, mate....

Specifically what changes does the Australian government require to seat belts and lighting to make the car "legal"?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom