Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hello

Corvette
1989 Arctic Pearl C4 RPO 31U coupe
Thank you for allowing me to join your group. I am new to Corvettes , but not new to sports cars. After putting four kids through college , I now have the time not to say more money to indulge myself a little. My first Corvette is an 89 C4 in Arctic Pearl RPO 31 U, now after much research I believe this to be a somewhat rare beast, and am looking forward to learning more about this car and the few others that exist. I thank you again.

"Rare Beast" is an understatment.

"Arctic Pearl" (paint code 31) was only used on 24 cars making it the second more rare color for MY89.

Is your car a coupe or a convertible?

Yo ! :D

Welcome to CAC!!!
Enjoy!!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Welcome to CAC!!

I understand kids... Once my daughter saw a 69 BBC roadster and said that is a cool car... The ex said your father owned one; daughter said why did he get rid of it?? Answer: go look in the mirror..
:D

Hahaha , I can relate to that, the only sporty car I kept was a 91 Mustang convertible which I gave to my eldest daughter for her 18th birthday
Welcome to CAC!!

I understand kids... Once my daughter saw a 69 BBC roadster and said that is a cool car... The ex said your father owned one; daughter said why did he get rid of it?? Answer: go look in the mirror..
:D

Hahaha , I can relate to that, the only sporty car I kept was a 91 Mustang convertible which I gave to my eldest daughter for her 18th birthday

I replaced it with an 84 Z/28, swapped the 305 for a pre-smog 350 with nitrous.. Never tracked it, but it was fairly quick. Best was, it had a backseat for daughter.. :)

having kids was always a compromise with vehicles

I replaced it with an 84 Z/28, swapped the 305 for a pre-smog 350 with nitrous.. Never tracked it, but it was fairly quick. Best was, it had a backseat for daughter.. :)

Hello! From one rare color owner to another! :w

Your introductory post intrigued me; I wasn't aware of another such paint color rarity among the Corvette generations. If you haven't done so already, you might read this notice published on the Corvette Action Center about another of these cars; I found there's some good information in it on these vehicles.

Apparently, your car is exceedingly rare -- it's only one of five that were released for public sale (the first 22 vehicles were pilot vehicles -- most of which were ZR-1 prototypes -- that were never released for sale to the public; the final five -- yours, no doubt, among them -- were Milford Proving Grounds test vehicles that eventually got released through North American Operations). And to clarify what Hib posted about production numbers: there were apparently a total of 27 vehicles produced in this color, 24 of which were coupes.

Anyway, I would encourage you to wheel that "rare beast" over to Carlisle in August! I, for one, would really love to see it in person!

Rare beast

Hello! From one rare color owner to another! :w

Your introductory post intrigued me; I wasn't aware of another such paint color rarity among the Corvette generations. If you haven't done so already, you might read this notice published on the Corvette Action Center about another of these cars; I found there's some good information in it on these vehicles.

Apparently, your car is exceedingly rare -- it's only one of five that were released for public sale (the first 22 vehicles were pilot vehicles -- most of which were ZR-1 prototypes -- that were never released for sale to the public; the final five -- yours, no doubt, among them -- were Milford Proving Grounds test vehicles that eventually got released through North American Operations). And to clarify what Hib posted about production numbers: there were apparently a total of 27 vehicles produced in this color, 24 of which were coupes.

Anyway, I would encourage you to wheel that "rare beast" over to Carlisle in August! I, for one, would really love to see it in person!
I found my way to Corvette Action Center via that post while trying to find out more about my car. When i bought the car I did not quite realize what a rare beast I was getting into, I now have the build sheet and it has the same hand written notations/alterations mentioned in that notice . Mine was first sold at auction Dec 20 1990 with 10,244 miles.
I would be delighted to wheel it over to Carlisle in August , just give me more info about the event. Thank you for the interest in my car

I found my way to Corvette Action Center via that post while trying to find out more about my car. When i bought the car I did not quite realize what a rare beast I was getting into, I now have the build sheet and it has the same hand written notations/alterations mentioned in that notice . Mine was first sold at auction Dec 20 1990 with 10,244 miles...

Ah, wonderful! Yeah, that C4 would be a keeper for sure, I think! I'd love to hear the back story of how you stumbled onto the car, apparently somewhat unwittingly! It seems like sometimes the cars find us rather than the other way around; that was the case with Aztec Gold #15 as well.

... I would be delighted to wheel it over to Carlisle in August , just give me more info about the event. Thank you for the interest in my car

Corvettes at Carlisle bills itself as the largest Corvette gathering in the country/world. The event happens in late August every year at the fairgrounds in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, typically the weekend before the Labor Day weekend. If you want to attend this year, I'd make a room reservation now, though; all of the hotels within 20 miles of Carlisle are probably booked already, but there are still rooms available in nearby towns/cities like Chambersburg and Harrisburg.

Our little group tends to hang out near the main entrance to the fairgrounds, and we have most of the Corvette generations represented. We could use a C4 to show up regularly to help fill us out!

Ah, wonderful! Yeah, that C4 would be a keeper for sure, I think! I'd love to hear the back story of how you stumbled onto the car, apparently somewhat unwittingly! It seems like sometimes the cars find us rather than the other way around; that was the case with Aztec Gold #15 as well.

Corvettes at Carlisle bills itself as the largest Corvette gathering in the country/world. The event happens in late August every year at the fairgrounds in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, typically the weekend before the Labor Day weekend. If you want to attend this year, I'd make a room reservation now, though; all of the hotels within 20 miles of Carlisle are probably booked already, but there are still rooms available in nearby towns/cities like Chambersburg and Harrisburg.

Our little group tends to hang out near the main entrance to the fairgrounds, and we have most of the Corvette generations represented. We could use a C4 to show up regularly to help fill us out!
You are correct about the back story ! I was on a site for sand rails just browsing and came upon a post of a guy trying to trade his Vette for a sandrail , he mentioned that it had a rare RPO 31U , I checked out the RPO and jumped into the conversation as I had a sandrail sitting in my shop. I sent him some pics and he jumped all over the deal, even delivered the Corvette to my house in Ozark Missouri from Ohio ! I was so overwhelmed by his enthusiasm that I really thought it was some kind of scam. But having checked the car over it is the real deal, so you are correct the car found me not the other way round !
I am supposed to be in England in August ,but I will see if I can rearrange things to make it to Carlisle , I would love to be part of your group, I will see if I can make this happen, thank you.

You are correct about the back story ! I was on a site for sand rails just browsing and came upon a post of a guy trying to trade his Vette for a sandrail , he mentioned that it had a rare RPO 31U , I checked out the RPO and jumped into the conversation as I had a sandrail sitting in my shop. I sent him some pics and he jumped all over the deal, even delivered the Corvette to my house in Ozark Missouri from Ohio ! I was so overwhelmed by his enthusiasm that I really thought it was some kind of scam. But having checked the car over it is the real deal, so you are correct the car found me not the other way round...!

Cool! That's not an ordinary vehicle trade I would think, but interesting nonetheless!

I don't know what it is about Ohio, but it seems like many of these rare paint color cars wind up there at some stage... Mine, along with Aztec Gold #14, was part of the extensive McDorman Collection; McDorman Chevrolet (now Jeff Wyler Chevrolet) is in Canal Winchester, out southeast of Columbus. Both cars were auctioned off in 2010. Interestingly, I did not even place a bid on either car, but #15 found me a year later anyway! I'll save "the rest of the story" for Carlisle... ;)

... I am supposed to be in England in August ,but I will see if I can rearrange things to make it to Carlisle , I would love to be part of your group, I will see if I can make this happen, thank you.

Sounds great! Just let me know! If we can time it, I can join up with you in the Pittsburgh area as you drive over from Missouri, and we can travel to Carlisle as a flight of two!

There's also a similar Corvette gathering happening in Bowling Green, KY in a few weeks: the National Corvette Homecoming. I've never been able to do that one, and would actually like to do it this year since my '98 would be one of their "Reunion Class" cars (all the Corvette model years ending in "8"; yours would be in their Reunion Class next year). I've got the time, but I'm pinching pennies -- both for the same reason (unemployed)... :( But it's another Corvette event you might consider. And with just a little arm twisting, I could get talked into it as well... ;)

Cool! That's not an ordinary vehicle trade I would think, but interesting nonetheless!

I don't know what it is about Ohio, but it seems like many of these rare paint color cars wind up there at some stage... Mine, along with Aztec Gold #14, was part of the extensive McDorman Collection; McDorman Chevrolet (now Jeff Wyler Chevrolet) is in Canal Winchester, out southeast of Columbus. Both cars were auctioned off in 2010. Interestingly, I did not even place a bid on either car, but #15 found me a year later anyway! I'll save "the rest of the story" for Carlisle... ;)

Sounds great! Just let me know! If we can time it, I can join up with you in the Pittsburgh area as you drive over from Missouri, and we can travel to Carlisle as a flight of two!

There's also a similar Corvette gathering happening in Bowling Green, KY in a few weeks: the National Corvette Homecoming. I've never been able to do that one, and would actually like to do it this year since my '98 would be one of their "Reunion Class" cars (all the Corvette model years ending in "8"; yours would be in their Reunion Class next year). I've got the time, but I'm pinching pennies -- both for the same reason (unemployed)... :( But it's another Corvette event you might consider. And with just a little arm twisting, I could get talked into it as well... ;)

Ohio seems to be a hot bed of interesting cars generally. I too am thinking about the National Homecoming , but timing is a little out for me , if I do go it will have to be a last minute deal.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom