Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help Brakes Problem

A

acman60

I am having a problem with my front brakes on my 79.When i am braking the car is pulling to the right.The pads and the calipers were replaced.Also the steering wheel shake a little.It also seems if the steering power fluid is low this problem happens.Should i upgrade to a better calipers and does anybody know what the problem may be.Thanks Mark

I am having a problem with my front brakes on my 79.When i am braking the car is pulling to the right.The pads and the calipers were replaced.Also the steering wheel shake a little.It also seems if the steering power fluid is low this problem happens.Should i upgrade to a better calipers and does anybody know what the problem may be.Thanks Mark
It sounds like multiple problems are at work. The first thing you need to do (regardless) is solve your steering system problems. Fix the leak, make sure the car is properly aligned (all four wheels), check tie rods, make sure your tires are all inflated to the correct psi. The car should track straight even if you take your hands off of the wheel.

The pulsating sounds like a bad rotor, but you won't know for sure until you have the steering sorted out. I suppose it (warped rotor) could also cause a certain degree of pulling if it's bad enough, but I'm no expert. Air trapped in the system could cause the car to pull. You don't sound confident in the front calipers you put on the car. Why?

Did you replace the rubber flex hoses, or are the 31-year-old originals still on it?

:beer

Thanks for getting back to me.Found the left side caliper not spring back.Replace and bleed the brake lines.Will test tomorrow and let you know..Also still have the rubber flex hose on.will change one day soon.

...Found the left side caliper not spring back...

Corvette brake pads are in contact with the rotors at all times. There should be nothing "springing back". The pads will relax off brake but will remain in contact with the rotors.

:)

John has a good point with the rubber lines. We're a BrakeQuip dealer and hoses have about a 5 year life span. Don't forget there are 4 on your car and the rears are just as importent and can cause pulling also. For a driver there really isn't much advantage to SS braid lines except they don't break down like rubber. The are worth the difference if you plan on keeping the car just short of forever. A lot of the sales hype states firmer pedal, better brakeing, etc. but I really don't feel any difference between our two Zs (1 with SS and 1 with rubber).

Also still have the rubber flex hose on.will change one day soon.

Old rubber brake flex hoses deteriorate and swell on the inside, restricting fluid flow and acting as check valves; this will cause pulling, uneven braking action, and can fry the brake pads. Replace them.

:beer

Brake pull

The obvious one is there is brake fluid leaking on the opposite side as the pull. The wet pads have no friction. The less obvious one is that the frame has cracked where the front lower a-frame bolts onto the main frame. They crack there, especialiaaly with an automatic trans.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom