Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HELP!!!!!!! I think I messed up my crank!!!!

M

MLGower

I have this awful feeling I messed up my crank while pulling out the harmonic balancer. :cry Is it possible to re-tap or use a thread cleaner tool to repair the threads on the crank for the balancer? I reeeealllly don't want to pull the motor out. This was supposed to be a simple swap for the balancer and replacement of the timing chain set. Is there any way to fix this? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Michael :hb

M

MLGower

Just some background on the balancer and the pull, I found that the balancer was completely free-spinning on the crank. I found that the reason for that was the elasic piece that holds it together was practicaly gone. I used a puller that was supposed to be made for pulling the balancer and it looks like it trashed the threads on the crank.

Thanks Again!!!

Michael :cry

R

rpounds

Get the correct tap (I believe that it is a 1/2-20 UNF) and chase the threads (meaning to simply run the tap through). If the beginning of the threads are the only thing messed up, this will cure the problem.

Ron

M

MLGower

Thanks Ron,

I'm going to try that this weekend. Hopefully it works.

Michael

R

rpounds

Thanks John . . . couldn't remember for sure.

Jack

Corvette
71 War Bonnet Yellow VERT 71 BH Blue CPE (SOLD)
/johnz ... It's 7/16"-20 UNF.
Ditto.

Sometimes even the conical bushing for puller's center bolt can damage the snout's threads. Next time, slip a short 3/8" bolt in the hole before you tighten the puller's center bolt ... it'll help save the crank's threads.
JACK:gap

M

MLGower

Thanks guys!!! I'm going out tonight and getting the proper tap and see if I can fix it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!!!!!

Michael :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom