Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HELP!!!!!!! I think I messed up my crank!!!!

M

MLGower

I have this awful feeling I messed up my crank while pulling out the harmonic balancer. :cry Is it possible to re-tap or use a thread cleaner tool to repair the threads on the crank for the balancer? I reeeealllly don't want to pull the motor out. This was supposed to be a simple swap for the balancer and replacement of the timing chain set. Is there any way to fix this? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Michael :hb

Just some background on the balancer and the pull, I found that the balancer was completely free-spinning on the crank. I found that the reason for that was the elasic piece that holds it together was practicaly gone. I used a puller that was supposed to be made for pulling the balancer and it looks like it trashed the threads on the crank.

Thanks Again!!!

Michael :cry

Get the correct tap (I believe that it is a 1/2-20 UNF) and chase the threads (meaning to simply run the tap through). If the beginning of the threads are the only thing messed up, this will cure the problem.

Ron

Thanks Ron,

I'm going to try that this weekend. Hopefully it works.

Michael

Thanks John . . . couldn't remember for sure.

/johnz ... It's 7/16"-20 UNF.
Ditto.

Sometimes even the conical bushing for puller's center bolt can damage the snout's threads. Next time, slip a short 3/8" bolt in the hole before you tighten the puller's center bolt ... it'll help save the crank's threads.
JACK:gap

Thanks guys!!! I'm going out tonight and getting the proper tap and see if I can fix it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!!!!!

Michael :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom