Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HELP - Mystery Smoke

R

Roy M

While driving the car this weekend, was stopped in traffic, noticed pale blue smoke coming from the exhaust, quite a bit. Got the car to the house and it was still coming out of the exhaust but not near as bad. Drove the car yesterday, did not notice any smoke at all except when I pulled back in the garage could see a faint bit of smoke. Checked the oil level both times and it was at proper level. Today, I removed and replaced the spark plugs, all the ones that I removed were what I would call the proper color, a grayish color. Talked to an engine builder and he said that he thought the plugs looked ok. He suggested that I change the PVC valve which I then did. The valve that I removed would rattle [my understanding
they are good when they rattle]. Just took the car on about a five mile trip and no smoke at any time and no smoke idling when pulled back in the garage. I am at a complete loss. The motor only has about 5000 miles on it since rebuild and this is the first time anything like this has happened. The motor still runs strong, might have a half-quart of oil consumption around 2000 miles. One thing that I want to ask is, My PVC valve is in the left valve cover between Nos. 1 & 3 cylinder, on the right valve cover, I had put a chrome breather with no hose running to the breather [chrome aftermarket], do I need to run a hose from this hole in the right valve cover to the air breather to get a better flow of air into the engine. Could this smoke be coming from a carburetor condition?? Running the 670cfm Holley Street Avenger Carburetor. Have adjusted the settings on it, could I have screwed something up there?
Any and all thoughts would be very much appreciated as I am at a loss on this.

Thanks

Blue smoke indicates burning oil. Even though the PCV valve would rattle, it does not always indicate that it is working properly. I had a 94 that had to have the PCV replaced every 10,000 or so. Otherwise, it would blow oil past the front crank seal. The engine is pretty fresh, so I would expect a fair amount of blow by, which will destroy a PCV fairly quickly. Since changing the PCV seemed to correct the problem, I would suspect that was the only thing wrong.

Just my 2 cents . . . I'm sure others will chime in here. . .

Are your valve covers baffled to prevent excess oil from being pulled into the intake stream through the PVC?

_ken :w

Yes, the valve covers are baffle type. That was one of the questions the engine builder asked. He said he had saw a lot of motors do exactly what you were implying.
Hopefully, changing the pvc valve will solve the problem. Will keep a close watch on it for a few days before I start looking elsewhere.

Thanks

Try replacing the power valve in the carb. If the carb has not been rebuilt in quite a while, try rebuilding it. Check the oil to see if there is any fuel in it. A bad power valve can cause raw fuel to leak into the cylinders, around the rings into the oil which may cause an internal engine explosion when starting. JK

it wouldn't hurt to ck brake fluid, if master is leaking into booster. it can be sucked into motor and burned. didn't you say there was no using of oil? something to ck anyways .

smoke

a bad modulator at the trans if automatic will smoke if diaphram is bad:w

Well, I have checked everything and found nothing. Did change all plugs, they were in good shape, the PCV valve did rattle but I replaced anyway and as of now, no smoke. Hope that was the fix, if not I will be back to ask for more help.
Thanks for all the replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom