Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help needed with Security Module on 85

OSU-VETTE

Corvette
1985 Z51, Black with Purple Accents
Hi everyone, I have an 85 I adore, and last year decided to tackle the lack of a horn problem. Determined the fuse was gone from the horn, but when I put the fuse in (when I eventually found it!) the security would engage but not disengage. No matter what I did, whenever I hit the power locks to lock the car, the security turned on, and when I used the key to open either side, it would not disengage the security, nor would putting the key in the ignition turn it off.

I eventually pulled the fuse for the power locks, I would rather have a horn than power locks, saftey you know. I narrowed it down with the help of some of the my local chevy guy here last year, but now that I bought the module, I have no clue where it is in the car. I have a GM service manual, haynes and chilton, none are very descriptive. Anyone have a picture or directions on where to look? Thanks for your help...very frustrated with the little thing!

Jeff

Can you post a pic or better description of "the module" you are reffering to. I believe if it's the one I'm thinking of its behingd the R side of the dash, and it ain't easy to get to. Hopefully someone else will chime in here, so here's a BUMP for ya :w

C42NV said:
Hi everyone, I have an 85 I adore, and last year decided to tackle the lack of a horn problem. Determined the fuse was gone from the horn, but when I put the fuse in (when I eventually found it!) the security would engage but not disengage. No matter what I did, whenever I hit the power locks to lock the car, the security turned on, and when I used the key to open either side, it would not disengage the security, nor would putting the key in the ignition turn it off.

I eventually pulled the fuse for the power locks, I would rather have a horn than power locks, saftey you know. I narrowed it down with the help of some of the my local chevy guy here last year, but now that I bought the module, I have no clue where it is in the car. I have a GM service manual, haynes and chilton, none are very descriptive. Anyone have a picture or directions on where to look? Thanks for your help...very frustrated with the little thing!

Jeff
Hi! Just ran across your thread when I keyed up "Horn". Did you ever resolve your problem? I have an '87---no horn, no theft deterrent system working. I have a feeling the two are tied. In fact I ran across a schematic which showed the TDS and the horn button are hooked up to the horn relay. I was in search of the answer "where is the horn relay". Replies came back saying it was in the center console above the radio. I have yet to get behind the center console (looks like a JOB to me). But I have a feeling the adjacent fuse and the relay are the reasons why neither system works. Also I feel I may replace one or both the relay & fuse and I may end up with a problem like yours. What is the security module and where is it installed? CAB

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom