Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help, Run Flat Question

jwawhite

Corvette
2003 Anny Coupe
I purchased identical tires for my '03.
However I do not see the EMT words on the sidewalls. (Extended Mileage Tires) Now reads carbon fiber.

I looked at the Goodyear brochure and it only reads that the front tires are runflats. It has a yellow triangular symbol and no symbol for rear tires.

Have the run flats gone away for the rear tires? Gone away totally?

What gives?;help

If you bought Goodyears which say "carbon fiber" on the sidewalls rather than "EMT", someone sold you a non-run flat tire.

Also "EMT" stands for "Extended Mobility Tire" not "extended mileage tire".

If you bought Goodyears which say "carbon fiber" on the sidewalls rather than "EMT", someone sold you a non-run flat tire.

Also "EMT" stands for "Extended Mobility Tire" not "extended mileage tire".

Hope you paid for them with a credit card, Hib is never wrong ! :W

More on tires which way but loose?

Thanks for responding guys! It seems to have been operator error. I thought I ordered run flats but got 4 Season Tires instead. Not a problem, I can turn them back in and order EMT's

But

Is the extra money all that necessary? I never had a flat in 27k miles plus. We have a tow service. I could put together a pump and slimy ropes. Perhaps the 4 Seasons are quieter? Hug nicer?

I can buy the tires on Base= base price & no tax. We won't have to wait for Tow Service. Won't have to carry pump and seals. Who cares if it makes more noise?

Any suggestions out there?

I really think runflats are no worth it.The only reason chevy put them on vettes is because of no spare.They are pricey and their are tons of other tires out there.I went with kumhos a/s wear like iron I love them!:)

For peace of mind, I went with the runflats. But I went with the Michelins Pilot Sport A/S ZP. I'm very happy with the performance, ride and noise level (lack there of).

Depends on how much you want to spend and your driving style. RF vs NRF is a personal prefrence item. NRF will give you a better ride and save some dough. RF will give you a little peace of mind, a little better MPG and a rougher ride. For my daily driver I prefer the non-run flat tires. 99 Z51 A4 Coupe with 107K.

For peace of mind, I went with the runflats. But I went with the Michelins Pilot Sport A/S ZP. I'm very happy with the performance, ride and noise level (lack there of).

I agree with Tom. When it came time to replace the 02's original tires, we went with the same Michelins as Tom, and we immediately noticed the improvement in ride and noise.

Elaine

I really think runflats are no worth it.The only reason chevy put them on vettes is because of no spare.They are pricey and their are tons of other tires out there.I went with kumhos a/s wear like iron I love them!:)
:thumb:thumb I also have the Kumho ASX's non-runflats and getting ready to buy my second set in January. They are quieter, cheaper and ride so much better than any runflat. I've got 40K miles on mine and still good tread left. I bought them for longevity and price, for my group cruises and long road trips.

:beer

yea,fixvet-I love my Kumho's but I do carry a plug kit and a tire inflator in the trunk!:beer

yea,fixvet-I love my Kumho's but I do carry a plug kit and a tire inflator in the trunk!:beer

Yeah, I do too....and a tool kit I made up with some metric stuff.....just in case, ya know! Never used any of it yet.......:) I've been across the country several times in my '98. Best road car I've ever owned. :D

Thanks for Commenting Everyone

I ended up just installing the NRF and it is noticeably quieter, haven't had the opportunity to determine if traction/riding is different yet.

While I had the tires off, I asked for the rebuild kits for the tire sensors, 8 dollars each. The tire place charged 20 to mount and balance the tires, each.

Have you heard/learned how to read the "Production Date"? Read along the sidewall next to the rim and find the word DOT just after this word you will see a group of numbers. Example: 2008 means the tire was made the 20th week in 2008. Sometimes the DOT is only found on the inside of the tire.

Tires do have an age limit and I believe it's less than 10 years, they do dry up and break down!:mad

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom