Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Suspension squeaks

bwing

Corvette
03 Z06,66 coupe(sold),99 Porsche Carrera(sold)
I need help with suspension squeaks. They seem to be getting worse every week. Both front and rear ends.

It started off with just minor squeaks. I sprayed silicone lube on ALL the bushings I could find that might be the culprit. About a week after lubing the bushings the squeaks appeared to get louder. Now they're as loud as ever and it's embarrassing. I don't know if anyone can hear them from the outside.

I just lowered the car using the stock bolts but the squeaks were there before this was done.

Any suggestions on fixing this problem other than just not driving the car?

My first guess is its the bushings on the anti-roll bars as mine squeak when I roll over speed bumps. I personally have not done anything about it but others have.

If its any help I can tell you that if you can hear it squeak in-side its louder out-side. The top up, top down test verified that for me. :eek:hnoes

My first guess is its the bushings on the anti-roll bars as mine squeak when I roll over speed bumps. I personally have not done anything about it but others have.

If its any help I can tell you that if you can hear it squeak in-side its louder out-side. The top up, top down test verified that for me. :eek:hnoes

Thanks c5y2k,

I'll look again at those bushings. If that's not it I don't know what it could be. ;shrug

I had the same problem and lubed the dog bone links at each end of the sway bar and that made the problem worse. I replaced them and the sway bar bushings and the noise is gone.

Thanks,
flir_man

I had the same problem and lubed the dog bone links at each end of the sway bar and that made the problem worse. I replaced them and the sway bar bushings and the noise is gone.

Thanks,
flir_man

Thanks, it looks like I'll be replacing mine also because it's gotten worse since I lubed them.

Thanks, it looks like I'll be replacing mine also because it's gotten worse since I lubed them.
What did you use to lube them??

I used an aerosol can of "dry" graphite.

Won't work!! Been There,Done That!!:upthumbs I took the 2 centers out(4 bolts and the bar will drop down) and spread the thick rubber bushings open and took a dremmel and cut 6 very small slits about 1/2 inch long and 1/32 deep in the middle of the bushing crosswise not to the edge around the bushing,this made a small place that would hold Molly wheel bearing grease!! Put it back together and it's been fine for 18,000 miles!!! Chevrolet replaced them twice before under warranty and they started squeaking within 3,000 miles!!Spray lube cant penetrate to the inside and they are very tight so they squeak!!When or if they start again,I'll pull it down and grease it again, it will take about 10 min.!!! I've done this to several of my customers cars and so far No Complaints!!:upthumbs:upthumbs PS I do this to the rear too!!

Won't work!! Been There,Done That!!:upthumbs I took the 2 centers out(4 bolts and the bar will drop down) and spread the thick rubber bushings open and took a dremmel and cut 6 very small slits about 1/2 inch long and 1/32 deep in the middle of the bushing crosswise not to the edge around the bushing,this made a small place that would hold Molly wheel bearing grease!! Put it back together and it's been fine for 18,000 miles!!! Chevrolet replaced them once before under warranty and they started squeaking within 3,000 miles!!Spray lube cant penetrate to the inside and they are very tight so they squeak!!When or if they start again,I'll pull it down and grease it again, it will take about 10 min.!!! I've done this to several of my customers cars and so far No Complaints!!:upthumbs:upthumbs PS I do this to the rear too!!

Thanks gm, that's sounds like a good fix. I'll give it another try tomorrow and let you know how it works. As much as I love working on my car I've got to divide time to include the wife. :L

Won't work!! Been There,Done That!!:upthumbs I took the 2 centers out(4 bolts and the bar will drop down) and spread the thick rubber bushings open and took a dremmel and cut 6 very small slits about 1/2 inch long and 1/32 deep in the middle of the bushing crosswise not to the edge around the bushing,this made a small place that would hold Molly wheel bearing grease!! Put it back together and it's been fine for 18,000 miles!!! Chevrolet replaced them once before under warranty and they started squeaking within 3,000 miles!!Spray lube cant penetrate to the inside and they are very tight so they squeak!!When or if they start again,I'll pull it down and grease it again, it will take about 10 min.!!! I've done this to several of my customers cars and so far No Complaints!!:upthumbs:upthumbs PS I do this to the rear too!!

gmjunkie,

Thanks alot for the advice. I undid the 4 bolts for the front and rear sway bars and checked the bushings. They weren't brittle or cracked so I cleaned them up and cut slits with my Dremel, applied grease and the squeaks are gone! Really good advice, thanks again.............Brian

gmjunkie,

Thanks alot for the advice. I undid the 4 bolts for the front and rear sway bars and checked the bushings. They weren't brittle or cracked so I cleaned them up and cut slits with my Dremel, applied grease and the squeaks are gone! Really good advice, thanks again.............Brian
:upthumbs:upthumbs Now send me your billing address!!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie Glad to help!!:upthumbs

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but it sounds like I'm going down this path now; while driving the '04 yesterday I noticed a squeaking noise from the front of the car while maneuvering over speed bumps and rough spots on the road...

Being something of a novice to working on suspension components, would someone be so kind as to point out (like in a photo or parts diagram) what the offending bushings are? It would be most helpful if I could zero in on them without a lot of trial and error...

Also, would any standard, all-purpose grease (e.g., wheel-bearing grease) work on this issue without reacting with the rubber bushings? Don't want to cause more harm than I cure...

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but it sounds like I'm going down this path now; while driving the '04 yesterday I noticed a squeaking noise from the front of the car while maneuvering over speed bumps and rough spots on the road...

Being something of a novice to working on suspension components, would someone be so kind as to point out (like in a photo or parts diagram) what the offending bushings are? It would be most helpful if I could zero in on them without a lot of trial and error...

Also, would any standard, all-purpose grease (e.g., wheel-bearing grease) work on this issue without reacting with the rubber bushings? Don't want to cause more harm than I cure...

The sway bar bushings are towards the middle of the vehicle with steel covers over the rubber bushings that attach them to the body, the sway bar links are at the end of the sway bar and attach to the control arms. A squeaking noise usually comes from the bushings, and a clunking type noise is usually associated with worn end links. The rear is probably the easiest to see. Unbolt the two metal covers holding the sway bar and bushings in places and rotate the sway bar down. With the metal covers off you can remove the split rubber bushings from the bar, lube them with waterproof grease and reinstall. Junkie and I both have found that over time the grease can force it's way out over time from the sway bar twisting and the noise can come back, so we cut grooves inside the bushings with a small dremel tool and pack grease in the grooves and reinstall. I haven't had to redo them twice after that procedure. It's a fairly easy job to do.

The sway bar bushings are towards the middle of the vehicle with steel covers over the rubber bushings that attach them to the body, the sway bar links are at the end of the sway bar and attach to the control arms. A squeaking noise usually comes from the bushings, and a clunking type noise is usually associated with worn end links. The rear is probably the easiest to see. Unbolt the two metal covers holding the sway bar and bushings in places and rotate the sway bar down. With the metal covers off you can remove the split rubber bushings from the bar, lube them with waterproof grease and reinstall. Junkie and I both have found that over time the grease can force it's way out over time from the sway bar twisting and the noise can come back, so we cut grooves inside the bushings with a small dremel tool and pack grease in the grooves and reinstall. I haven't had to redo them twice after that procedure. It's a fairly easy job to do.

OK, thanks! Unfortunately, I don't have a Dremel tool; but if the job proves too much of a pain I might invest in one. But this is the first time in the 13 years I've owned the car that I've had this problem surface, so if I only have to do this every 13 years I'm probably well ahead of the game already...

This is the grease that I have on hand; I presume it will be fine for this job...?

Should I apply the grease only in the area between the bushing and the sway bar, or on both sides of the bushing?

How much grease is too much?

OK, thanks! Unfortunately, I don't have a Dremel tool; but if the job proves too much of a pain I might invest in one. But this is the first time in the 13 years I've owned the car that I've had this problem surface, so if I only have to do this every 13 years I'm probably well ahead of the game already...

This is the grease that I have on hand; I presume it will be fine for this job...?

Should I apply the grease only in the area between the bushing and the sway bar, or on both sides of the bushing?

How much grease is too much?

That grease will work just fine. You only need to lubricate the area between the bushing and the sway bar, that is where it twists and can make a noise. Lubing the whole bushing inside and out will not hurt anything, but is not needed. Too much would be if it shoots out when you tighten it up, but no big deal, just wipe off the excess. I would recommend putting on too much than too little, and then just clean off the excess.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom