Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

help with a/c fan blower spacer

crause

Corvette
75 Convertible-steel blue / 2000 lt. pewter conv.
Ok, I am in the middle of the blower motor upgrade for the a/c fan. I have the new motor for an 87 GMC van and am now in the process of making the spacer. I need help from anyone who has done this. I am having a lot of trouble finding something that is going to be thick enough and not too thick. The thread I read about doing this said that the spacer should be 3/4 to 7/8" thick. I tried to find something plastic but couldn't find anything. I guess that I am going to have to make the spacer out of wood. I can find lots of pieces that are 3/4" but am afraid that after I go through all the trouble to make the spacer and then put it on only to find that the squirrel cage is rubbing. If anybody has done this, will the 3/4" stock work or should I keep looking for something closer to 7/8"

I just did this over the winter. Go with the 7/8. Trust me,you'll need the extra 1/8. I used some sort of press wood (very hard) shelving I had laying around that I had bought at Home Depot. A buddy of mine cut it for me with a nice band saw. I have the pattern somewhere in my shop.I spray painted it black. I used a little black silicone sealer between the spacer and the blower housing. The fan blows alot better than original. I used GM# 52498869 blower assy.

It's alot of work but I fiberglassed an extension to the housing from a doner evap housing.

I just installed a blower wheel and motor for a 1978 Corvette in my 73 Corvette. No spacer needed. The air coming out of the center vents can be felt on my face. I considered installing the wider wheel, but I don't believe it is worth the effort. I had a plastic bottle that I was going to cut and use as the spacer if I went the wider wheel route.
Roger

I went with the 7/8" piece of wood and cut it from a template I made from the original. Everything went back together great. New wires, fuse holder (blade type), relay and new wiring harness to relay all new ground wires and everything soldered and taped. Put it all together.........and............still no high speed on the fan. Pulled the console apart and decided it was the fan switch. My local chevy dealer had the new switch in one day and it was cheaper than any of the corvette suppliers ($15.00). Put it in and the fan works great, high speed and all. Now the hair pulling part, after putting everything back together, the headlight warning light on the console comes on when I turn the headlights on. The lights work perfect but the light stays on. Turn the lights off, the warning light goes out. Ahhhhhhhhh

if anybody is still interested, i found the headlight warning switch on the ft. rt. headlight was broken. new one on the way from The Last Detail.

I did the conversion and I used a chopping block from Wal Mart made out of some type of poly? plastic

I looked for something like that but couldn't find any that thick. How thick was the one you found at Walmart?

About 3/8" I stacked it screwed it together and cut it with my router

C3 A/C Fan Motor Speed

About a year ago...maybe longer, there was a thread that discussed replacing the fan motor on a 75, or any C3 with a C4 fan motor. It gave instructions and a template to use to make a spacer for the replacement motor. Anybody have that info, or know where it is?

Thanks

Exactly what I am looking to do....can you tell me the thread you are using as a reference?

captras,

Obviously, I have merged your posts. Seemed like they were going in the same direction. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom