Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help with B&M 6 speed shifter install

E

ELECTRONJMB

Hi folks, I just got a B&M ripper shifter for my 02, install seems pretty straight forward, once you get the console trim bezel removed.. thats my problem, I can't seem to get it off and don't want to risk breaking it. I removed all the hardware listed in the instructions, I got it a away from the dash and radio area, but could not get it to come off.. HELP :confused
Thanks
Jeff

Hi folks, I just got a B&M ripper shifter for my 02, install seems pretty straight forward, once you get the console trim bezel removed.. thats my problem, I can't seem to get it off and don't want to risk breaking it. I removed all the hardware listed in the instructions, I got it a away from the dash and radio area, but could not get it to come off.. HELP :confused
Thanks
Jeff

Try this link.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/patches//Images/Hurst_Shifter/HurstSHifterInstall.shtml

This guy does some great DIY write-ups with easy to follow step-by-step instructions.:upthumbs

Well I got it done and am very happy with the function of the new shifter. I ended up removing the waterfall then removing the rear of the console, then the front trim part. it all came off with zero effort.
Jeff

Hi Jeff

I have a question for you. I have an 02 as well and installed the ripper this past friday. When I removed the oem shifter, there was an allen wrench shaped round piece of steel about an inch and a quarter long attached to the front of the shifter and no where to put this piece on the b&m shifter, so I left if off. Did you have the same issue? The new shifter seems to work fine and the instructions did not mention this little part.

Charlie

That little allen wrench looking piece off the
stock shifter gets tossed! Ran into that same
problem when i installed my b&m. It was apparent
that there was no place for it so i left it out.
Worked great! Asked a few guys with shifters
and same thing...it gets tossed with the stock shifter.

I e-mailed a picture of it to B&M, they replied saying it was used by the factory to quickly align the shifter for assembly purposes. Well they could have said that in the instuctions.....for that matter corvette fever did an article on installing the shifter and didn't mention it either.....myself, I don't like having extra parts when I'm done with a little project. I will say I like the shifter, it's real nice. Thanks for the help

Charlie

The alignment pin that is attached to the OEM shifter is not used with any of the aftermarket shifters. In my case, it stayed attached to the OEM shifter when I pulled it. I think the instrustions with the Hurst shfiter mentions it, (or perhaps I am recalling the instructions on the Corvette Forum).
Dave

FYI--My son installed a B&M Precision Sports shifter for me last summer. It has a 33% shorter throw; I am completely satisfied with it. A significant improvement over stock. I've got a 2000FRC.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom