Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help with Code 33 on a 1990

brandywine

Corvette
1980 ZZ4 with a TPIS Mini Ram
Hi all,

I have a 1980 with mildly modded ZZ4 and TPI. The PCM/ECU is from a 1990 and is a MAP system, not MAF.

I am getting an intermittant error code 33 - MAP voltage high - low vacumn. The engine runs normally, and then starts to run rough -hesitate/stumble. Within a few minutes the problem seems to clear up, but system is running in open loop. This has happened twice in the last 3 weeks. I have a scanner tool that I can use to read the codes, see the voltage, erase codes, etc.

I erased the code the first time and waited to see if it would come back. It took about 3 weeks. The problem seems to occur when the car is at operating temperature with a load.

The MAP sensor at idle is at 1.61V. With the engine off and the ignition on the MAP sensor reads 4.78V.

I have taken the MAP sensor off and inspected the plastic module and the hose that runs to the plenum for cracks or leaks. None found.

Does anyone have any diagnostics on this particular year/code (1990) that they can post. I'm not a TPI expert, so use small words...

Thanks in advance.

Hi OZ,

The chip has been tuned for my ZZ4 setup...

Requested idle after warm-up is 725rpm...idles between 725 and 750 with 1.6V coming from the MAP sensor.

Problem is not noticable at idle, only while under load in gear.

Thanks for the diagnostics.

Check the IAC counts to see if it is trying it's best to compensate for the new cam. If it cannot go thru the IAC it will probably try timing and fuel.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom