Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

help?

vette_girl

Corvette
1995 White coupe
i just want to get help on why my car doesn't work. i just want to talk to some knowledgeable people about corvettes. will someone please help me? my '95 dies as soon as it gets to operating temp (190), then just coughs and spits until it cools down. for reference, it's a 383 (stroked) and built pretty well. 12.23 on just the motor (low 11s on the bottle). one guy says it may be the opti-crap, i just want to verify before i spend the money to get it changed. help??? lil_bit_kittykat@yahoo.com it's an lt-1 block, a 236/242-561 cam with fully ported and polished lt-4 heads and intake, true dual hookers to 3" tubes back to 2 stage flowmasters. i don't know if that matters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

angela

Angela,

Sorry I can't help with your issue, but the nice thing about this site is that someone will come along that can. Check back here throughout the day and this evening and you should have some useful replies.

Good luck with it!
:w Jane Ann

Moving from the Site Help and Feedback forum to the C4 Tech forum....

Running rough when warmed up

Could the water pump be leaking as the engine warms and builds pressure? The pump is just above the Opti and could be spraying the high voltage wires with coolant causing shorting. There may be whisps of smoke or drips on the ground. But a careful exam once warm may be necessary to see any evidence of a leak (the coolant will evaporate very quickly unless there's a lot of it).
Take care to avoid the moving or hot parts.
Good luck.

Do you have a scan tool or anything of the sorts? Is the service engine light coming on? How specifically does it die around 190?

Do you know how to check the codes? That's your first priority.

Then...in the guessing area, assuming you haven't checked the codes, your problem sounds like one or more plugged catalytic converters. (I've got first hand experience there, and it's fairly common on these Vettes.)

Do a search on "back pressure", "exhaust pressure", "pressure test" and any other combinations you can think of to see what you can pick up here on the forum.

But again, learn how to check those codes. (Are you mechanically inclined?)

If you're into doing your own repairs, you MUST get the Factory Service Manual. Don't settle for Haynes, Chiltons, or any of that other junk.

Keep us posted on where this takes you. Good luck.

wow. you guys rock! thanks, vetteboy, your setup is almost the same as mine with the stroked 383. i'm not leaking anything and i've checked the codes, the car is just being stupid. i took it to HP performance and tony says it's probably just the opti-crap being an *******. i called the chevy dealer and tom said the same thing so you guys are right, i'm just gonna have him change it out and redo the nitrous and MSD+6 so it will all work the way it was in hawaii. 11.63@126 ain't bad for a white girl lol!

and airbus, no. i'm strictly an owner/driver. thanks for asking, but i'm about as mechanically inclined as a standard golden retriever. i'm a great gofer, ask me for a 10 mm wrench and i'll get you one but beyond that i'm pretty much lost. i can get you a beer, though ;-)

angela

ewwwwww! vetteboy, pass on the 2400 stall, you're wasting money. go with the 3600 purple one, it will still engage at about 2200 rpm unless you really stomp on it. trust me on this one, i run a stroked 383, punched/decked bottom, ported/polished LT-4 top end, BBK throttle body, fully open true dual exhaust, 150 shot of nitrous and all the roller and titanium goodies, a 400 crank and a 236/242 - 561 cam. i'm pushing 790 HP at the flywheel, probably 610 RWHP on the raptor 4L60E with the 3.07:1 gears in back on M/T street slicks, but she's still streetable (when she cooperates lol). i just have to get 3:75 gears and she'll be in the 10s ;-)

ewwwwww! vetteboy, pass on the 2400 stall, you're wasting money. go with the 3600 purple one, it will still engage at about 2200 rpm unless you really stomp on it. trust me on this one, i run a stroked 383, punched/decked bottom, ported/polished LT-4 top end, BBK throttle body, fully open true dual exhaust, 150 shot of nitrous and all the roller and titanium goodies, a 400 crank and a 236/242 - 561 cam. i'm pushing 790 HP at the flywheel, probably 610 RWHP on the raptor 4L60E with the 3.07:1 gears in back on M/T street slicks, but she's still streetable (when she cooperates lol). i just have to get 3:75 gears and she'll be in the 10s ;-)
Just wondered how you knw so much about motors but cant find a problem with a opti!!!:confused That should be the first thing to check!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom