Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Here we go

R

russ84

Hey,
I'm new here just bought my 1st vette last saturday. Its an 84 white coupe. I took it to the local mechaninc to have the suspension checked out. ( I was told it needed new bearings and bushings from the seller).
So I have ordered new hub and bearings all the way around, a new poly bushing kit, front and rear sway bar bushing kit. I am now waiting for all of the goodies to arrive. I hope I have not bit off more than I can chew, I am pretty good at working on stuff but any school of hard knocks tips and tricks would be helpfull. Thanks and wish me luck. I cant wait to get this thing on the road the weather is really starting to get nice up in the Ozarks

Welcome!

Welcome to the:CAC russ and congrats :upthumbs on the purchase of your 1st vette. I know you will have a lot of fun with it. :cool There are plenty of folks here to help you with any problems you should encounter, so just enjoy:w

Welcome aboard, the 84's don't get much respect...but in my book all Corvettes are cool. Some bushings aren't too bad to replace, some I would probably leave to the experts. Which bushings are you replacing? A-arm bushings (upper and lower) I would just let someone else do them, as well as the "batwing" bushings. But I have replaced sway bar bushings in my garage. The "dog bone" bushings I'd give a go at myself (mine are still OK).

1984 Corvette

1984 Corvette had the stiffest spring rate among all Vettes.
I own a 1984 Corvette.:D
I am pretty happy w/ it.
I should have kept CFI w/ NOS hidden underneith the air cleaner.
low key high powered.

1984 Corvette had the stiffest spring rate among all Vettes.
I own a 1984 Corvette.:D
I am pretty happy w/ it.
I should have kept CFI w/ NOS hidden underneith the air cleaner.
low key high powered.

You got rid of your CFI?:eek:hnoes The purists will be pissed. Did you go to a carb?

Welcome aboard, the 84's don't get much respect...but in my book all Corvettes are cool. Some bushings aren't too bad to replace, some I would probably leave to the experts. Which bushings are you replacing? A-arm bushings (upper and lower) I would just let someone else do them, as well as the "batwing" bushings. But I have replaced sway bar bushings in my garage. The "dog bone" bushings I'd give a go at myself (mine are still OK).

I ordered a kit that is for the front and rear end. I'm not real sure which ones I'm going to try to replace yet. I will know more when the bushings get in and I start tearing into it.

You got rid of your CFI?:eek:hnoes The purists will be pissed. Did you go to a carb?
CARB?
sorry I need an electrnoically controlled car that as effecient as possible.
.Well to take it a step farther why do two engine of the same make sound different?

Fuel injection (port) is smoother/quieter because the incoming charge does not have to figure out which way to go (due to different intake pulses). In a carburated car the charge gets "confused" add a big cam to it and it makes it worse, that's where the lopey idle comes from.

I know that was not a scientific answer but, that is how I understand/think about it.
I have factory L83 engine,the factory internals were already good to begin with.
the only thing I dont have is aluminum block or aluminum heads.
But then I am on a diet anyways, so there I go...reducing weight anyways..

My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 158 of 219 by NY - MySpace Photos

well Russ, and congrads. I bought my 1st vet in Dec and I love her. i've had many antique muscle cars but no one is a closer family than vet owners. is yours an automatic or 4+3 manual?

Welcome to CAC... The 84 being the first year C4 seems to get most of the negative press. I just drove one over the weekend, and it was one sweet ride. Owner had installed the Gabriel Ultra shocks, which made a big difference in the ride. Get yourself a copy of the factory service manuals and enjoy!!!

well Russ, and congrads. I bought my 1st vet in Dec and I love her. i've had many antique muscle cars but no one is a closer family than vet owners. is yours an automatic or 4+3 manual?
It is the 4 speed automatic. I'm still waiting on my parts to show up. I guess that is the worst thing about haveing to order stuff online is the wait.

I like my '84! It's soooo much better than a friend's '82, but after all, the '82 suspension is basicly the same as a '63!! Welcome to the CAC!

:w S.T.W.

I ordered a kit that is for the front and rear end. I'm not real sure which ones I'm going to try to replace yet. I will know more when the bushings get in and I start tearing into it.
Bushes are easy.After you have removed the arms ,drill through the old rubbers with a 1/4" drill until you can push them out.
The polys are 2 piece so they just slip back in.Use the lube that comes with the bushes
Come back here when you are ready to change out the hubs

Welcome to the :CAC russ! And congrats on your first Corvette... in fact, a Corvette, Springtime and the Ozarks sounds like a winning combination to me!

Here's a link to the 1984 model page located in the CAC Model Center:
CAC Tech Center | Model Center | 1984 Model

Enjoy!
And post pix of that '84 with Ozarks scenery in the background when you get 'em. We promise to be extremely vocal in our appreciation. ;)

:wJane Ann

Hey Dude! I have an 84 CF also. Love mine. Just wait till you start driving it. You will love yours too!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom