Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hi All, I'm new to your group.............Russ B

Russb

Corvette
2007 C6 Coupe Artic White
I have a 2007 C6 with 34K miles. I was wondering if anyone with a C6 had Crankshaft pulley problema that could offer some advice> It chewed belts, and now the pulleys don't line properly. The crank pulley is out to far and the crank bolt was finger loose> Can anyone offer any advice?

My advice, and I speak from experience, don't drive the car. It's a messy fix, but the dealer can get a special tool to minimize what needs to be removed to get at the crank pulley bolt. There was a special nut with a diamond crusted surface that fixed my C6. I guess the crusty surface keeps the bolt from backing. If the crank bolt needs to be replaced, figure a day and a half to 2 days. The rack has to be dropped if I remember correctly.

BTW - welcome.

My advice, and I speak from experience, don't drive the car. It's a messy fix, but the dealer can get a special tool to minimize what needs to be removed to get at the crank pulley bolt. There was a special nut with a diamond crusted surface that fixed my C6. I guess the crusty surface keeps the bolt from backing. If the crank bolt needs to be replaced, figure a day and a half to 2 days. The rack has to be dropped if I remember correctly.

BTW - welcome.

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid it was going to be a tough fix. Do you know where to get the diamond crusted surface?

It is called DEW or diamond encrusted washer. The bolt is torqued using what is called the torque to yield technique and should not be re-used.

It's a Chevy part.

It's a Chevy part.

When my mechanic takes it apart will he see a washer on the existing bolt? Or is the DEW washer added to keep it from happening again? Do you know if a keyway is in the crankshaft and pulley. Someone said no?

Welcome to CAC!!!
enjoy!

good luck with your crank!

As it was tightened using the torque to yield process, it is wise to buy a new bolt and washer. I don't know if they are sold separately or as a kit.
All I could find at GM's parts online was "Vibration Damper; w/washer" list is 260.28 and Online price is 166.16.

2007 Chevrolet Corvette OEM Parts - GMPartsOnline.net

I just called Allen Jay Chevrolet and they haven't heard of the DEW Washer. The garage has my car in the air and they don't want to take the rack off until I find the washer? Any place else you can think of to try? 863-699-1096 Russ

Sorry, I should have checked the link; I assumed it would lead you to the page.

Click the link I posted, next click Corvette Base, then click engine, at the top click page 2, it is item #30.

It appears Generous Motors doesn't sell the washer separately.

For the difference in dealer price and the online price, I'd check into overnight shipping. :D

Last edited:
Welcome to Corvette Action Center

Welcome RussB to the group we're glad you joined us. Sounds like you got a little mess on your hands. good luck on that :thumb

-Bill

Welcome to the :CAC

I haven't had any issues, sorry I can't help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom