Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HID headlight conversion kit

T

Terry Holtz

Has anyone tried one of these 8000K 9006 Xenon Corvette C5 HID Conversion Kits?

www.blinglights.com

The same e-bayer offers a 6000K kit as well.

How do these HID kits compare to the much cheaper "hyperwhites" discussed in other threads?

If the link doesn't work, try e-bay search words:

corvette HID conversion

Here's a reply I got from blinglights.com

Terry,

All our kits are similar with the exception of color. Cheap HID kits use tinted bulbs to attain color, our HID kit bulbs are untinted and produce their color from different combinations of rare earth gases. Some say as the kelvin level is higher the output is not quite as bright. However, I don't agree. I believe this is partly because some of our competitors use tinted bulbs and that tint filters out some of the usuable light. All our HID kits, regardless of style, are dramatically brighter then any type of high wattage non-HID bulb. My favorite kit is the very high output HIDs. They are unique in that they utilize beefed up ballasts and bulbs to produce unmatched output. The VHO is a favority among our sponsored show cars who use them to gain an advantage over the competition. I currently have a group buy open for all HID kits that provides a 5% discount on the subtotal for all HID kits. That is $15 off a regular kit and an additional ~$25 off the Very High Output HID kits. I already have quota so you don't have to wait to take advantage of the discount. When you or your members are ready just email me with what model is needed and I will forward an invoice that can be paid by credit card with the reflected discount price. Hope this helps, email me with any other questions. thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Jason Manus

jason@blinglights.com

So mention corvette action center !

It appears from the above letter that the higher the K-number, the more purple the light looks. 8000K should be mostly white/blue... while 12000K would be rather purple. But the lights are the same brightness with the exception of the VHO kit, which is 33% brighter.

Here's a link to different kits for C5 vettes:

http://www.blinglights.com/shopbling/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=36

here's a link to the VHO Very High Outpit version: ( a bit more expensive)

http://www.blinglights.com/shopbling/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4117

I'm not sure what would be gained from going to the purple lights. I know that a lot of new cars have them as OEM equipped, but the human eye is more sensitive in the white to red range of colors, since we were designed with sunlight in mind. Unless there is an associated increase in intensity or focus with them I don't see what advantage they have.

Personally, I find the purple lights ot be very annoying when looking at oncoming cars that have them. But that's just me.

I agree. I noticed that the VHO (Very High Output) kit is offered only as an 8000K kit which I believe would be blue/white.

I think it's the 10,000K and 12,000K kits that are the annoying purple color...

But none of these HID kits are in the yellowish range of weak conventional lights.

I suspect they're worth it... Mercedes and Lexus usually know what they're doing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom