Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hidden Radar Installation on Convertable

F

Flame Red

Gents,

I would like suggestions as to a sealthy Valentine-1 radar installation on a vert. Mine is on it's way. My previous 'remote' unit bit the dust. I cannot just mount it in plane view as it will disappear in 30 seconds, and take a $600 cloth top with it too.

I bought the V-1 remote unit and speaker. I was thinking of either:

1. Mounting the unit under the front bumper in a weather tight case. (Loose rear laser)
2. Mounting the unit inside the front bumper in a weather tight case. (Loose front and rear laser)
3. Mount unit in front of rear view mirror in some kind of case. Loose back laser. Might get ripped of as it will still be easily spotted.
4. Disect unit and split in half. Not recommended by Valentine. I really don't want to experiment with a $400 unit.

How about some suggestions to desguise the unit in a tissue box, or something along those lines?

I understand that I can hide the remote effectively in the center air duct or perhaps the ash tray and the speaker under the dash.

I heard there is a guy that will mount the remote in the rear view mirror. But my is one of those auto dim jobs so I don't want to tear it up. Besides, you still have to hid the main unit.

I know there are some companies that sell a weather tight box to remote the main unit under the bumper. $195 seems rather high for a $30 weathertight box.

So is under the front bumper my best choice?

Thanks,

Flame Red

Why don't you just leave it on the suction mounts and simply remove it from the windshield and stow it away anytime you plan to leave the vehicle alone?

Can you just get a map pocket deal for the passenger sun visor and just slip it in there? It would look like a garage door opener, or tissue box. The only bad part is that you loose the protection if a passenger lowers the visor.

I like your idea! This has definate possibilities.

69MyWay said:
Can you just get a map pocket deal for the passenger sun visor and just slip it in there? It would look like a garage door opener, or tissue box. The only bad part is that you loose the protection if a passenger lowers the visor.

I know that if I put it in plane sight, I would either:

1. Forget to remove it one time and it will disappear. I live in a high crime area!
2. Forget to put it back and get a ticket. I live in the speed trap capital of Florida!

Garage door opener disguise sounds like the ticket :)

Well I had a 96 LT4 ragtop with ther valetine installed for two years with no problems. I mounted mine right in front of the rear view mirror and mounted the remote next to the steering wheel on the dash ledge. From the front you could not even tell it was there, could barely tell it was there even with the top off. My current ride has it installed the same way

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom