Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

High Beam Switch

C4Tom

Corvette
1993 Black & Silver LT1 A4 Coupe
After returning home from CruiseFest and checking out the car, I checked the high beam switch again(didn't use it during cruisefest). I found that it will only work if the steering wheel is tilted up all the way. It does not work when tilted down to driving position.

Hmmm... I find that kinda odd.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sounds like a wiring problem in the steering column. I once had an Olds 442 that would not start, unless you had the wheel down at driving position. Replaced the wiring in the column, fixed the problem.

96corvetteLT4 said:
Sounds like a wiring problem in the steering column. I once had an Olds 442 that would not start, unless you had the wheel down at driving position. Replaced the wiring in the column, fixed the problem.

It feels more like a mechanical issue. I can feel the click when up, but not when it's down. I'm guessing there is something worn out in there. :ugh

C4Tom said:
It feels more like a mechanical issue. I can feel the click when up, but not when it's down. I'm guessing there is something worn out in there. :ugh

I think you're right. I just had my signal switch changed. Had to removed the entire content of the sterring column to get to it. This maybe the same type of problem.

You may want to try spraying some light lubricant into the turn signal housing. It may loosen stuf up in there. I never tried on mine because it was broken.

Peter

I just got through dealing with this on my '85. I can only assume that your year is the same.
There is a rod that runs from the lever down to the actual switch on the side of the steering column. It may be out of adjustment. Pain in the butt to get at, but not near as bad as the ignition switch:W, which is attached on the same bracket as the hi-beam switch.

Nitronick said:
I just got through dealing with this on my '85. I can only assume that your year is the same.
There is a rod that runs from the lever down to the actual switch on the side of the steering column. It may be out of adjustment. Pain in the butt to get at, but not near as bad as the ignition switch:W, which is attached on the same bracket as the hi-beam switch.

Ahhhh...yes, good idea. I will look into this.

Thanks,

Same hear

I also have the same problem only my will sometimes work in driving position if I am driving around town and will stop working on a long trip.:confused I sure would be interested in what you find out. unfortunatly I no longer can work under the dash and must take car to a mechanic for that kind of work. I like to know what is wrong before I go so I can tell if I am being treated fairly.:upthumbs

on the bottom of the steering colum is a slotted bracket that holds the hi-beam switch. loosen the screws and slide it fwd/back.

SKIP780 said:
on the bottom of the steering colum is a slotted bracket that holds the hi-beam switch. loosen the screws and slide it fwd/back.

Ok Skip780 I just went out and looked under the steering column:confused

On my 93 all I see is panels. Do I have to remove the carpet and other panels under the dash to get to this switch:confused :lou:beer

John Robinson said:

On my 93 all I see is panels. Do I have to remove the carpet and other panels under the dash to get to this switch:confused :lou:beer

Yep.

John Robinson said:

Just did this on my 93. Remove the rug section under the steering wheel, carefull of the courtesy light, unplug and move out of your way. There is another wire attached , forget what it's for but there is enough room to swing it over on the pssenger seat without disconnecting it. Then there is this steel plate, four bolts have to be removed. A 3/8" and an 8mm for the bolts which are a bi..h to get at. I placed a mark on the column and moved it an increment at a time. If you go too far, it don't work. There is a rod from the column that runs down the column but it has this bend it that takes it out and along side the column to the high beam switch. No wonder it's so sensitive. Good Luck...took me about an hour...with a bum back!

Robertwav1 said:
Just did this on my 93. Remove the rug section under the steering wheel, carefull of the courtesy light, unplug and move out of your way. There is another wire attached , forget what it's for but there is enough room to swing it over on the pssenger seat without disconnecting it. Then there is this steel plate, four bolts have to be removed. A 3/8" and an 8mm for the bolts which are a bi..h to get at. I placed a mark on the column and moved it an increment at a time. If you go too far, it don't work. There is a rod from the column that runs down the column but it has this bend it that takes it out and along side the column to the high beam switch. No wonder it's so sensitive. Good Luck...took me about an hour...with a bum back!

Thank you for this walk-through! It will make the job easier for me... even with MY bum back! :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom