Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hole closure

ratflinger

Corvette
1979 Black Coupe, 396 SBC
Currently going through my 79 & noticed several factory type holes, i.e. drain holes in the floorpans, a hole in each side of the windshield frames (under the removed windshield), etc. These are not rust holes. Is there any advantage to leaving them open or can I epoxy them up?

I noticed them under my windshield as well when it was out we just left them alone,as for the floorpans i would leave them in case the interior gets water in it.

bill :w

ratflinger said:
Currently going through my 79 & noticed several factory type holes, i.e. drain holes in the floorpans, a hole in each side of the windshield frames (under the removed windshield), etc. These are not rust holes. Is there any advantage to leaving them open or can I epoxy them up?

if there's no plugs in the holes in the floor, you will get more water in the car than it will let out. You'll notice damp carpet when driving in the rain, which will cause the carpet to get moldy and come apart in the future. There should be some oval caps that go over those holes.

the floor should definitely be plugged back up (not epoxied over!!) the plugs can always be removed to drain interior water should it ever become necessary. you will definitely take in more than you will drain without them!! the windshield holes are drain holes that allow water to run off and should be left open i believe.

Thanks all. I think I saw a plug kit on one of the parts sites, so I'll order one before I finish the interior.

Hey Rat,

Check the Chevy dealer before ordering from aftermarket. I have found on several occasions they have the correct GM part and it's often cheaper than the aftermarket.

There are two holes in the floor board right about center. They should have a drainable plug in them. This is not the same as the plug you find in other areas of the car but rather a plug that is about 2” long and in the very bottom of it, there is a cross. This plug was used in four places and will allow water to drain from inside the car and not hold the water while allowing no water to come in to the car. There was also to cap plugs in the floor as well.

The original GM p/n 3948148 is not available, I checked. But we have a repro plug kit that has this in it. Email me and I can send you a picture of the plugs. Willcox@bellsouth.net

Willcox

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom