Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood clearance issue with rebuild ??

goingballistic

Corvette
1981 Beige Coupe
I know this has circulated more than once in the forum but I'm looking into and questioning an idea ( or a brain fart ) I'm having.

I'm in the process of building a 388 stroker, just got the heads in yesterday, AFR-195. I am planning and have the Edelbrock Air Gap intake with a 750 cfm Edelbrock carb. The problem, as many are aware, is that there is no clearance between the hood and air filter once the motor is in hence the need for a drop filter or other solution. I understand that it's only a matter of inches, so to speak. So I'm wondering............when I have the original block removed and preping the bay for the new block, would there be an issue with lowering the engine mounts slightly to accomodate the hood clearance issue. I can think of the tranny alignment issue but can probably accomodate that.

Can anyone think of any reason this may not be a good idea or what other problems I may encounter?? :confused

Thanks for the help.

You will probably hit the lower front of the oil pan on the cradle before you trim enough inches off to clear the hood. You might also bring the bottom of the oil pan and the beader collector connection too close to the ground, depending on the stance of your car.

I'm running an rpm air gap on my 81 w/ a 14 * 2.5 inch knn filter, demon carb and a gm drop base filter base. Its a tight fight, but it works.

ok heres my setup on my 73 with the stock hood....

RPM AIR GAP
Mighty demon 650
drop base air cleaner
14" x 2 1/4" k&n air cleaner
energy susp poly engine mounts....

I have 3/4 inch clearance left between the hood and with the mounts the engine does NOT rotate when you gas it the whole car moves...

I do have enough clearance with that set up....
good luck

81 and waterboy, do you have any info in regard to the drop base. I've not had a lot of luck finding one of these, albeit, I have no idea where or who to look at.

Thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom