Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood emblem

Ronald

Corvette
66 Coupe
Do all 66 Corvettes have the Corvette Stingray emblem on the front driver's side of the hood? Mine does not, so i want to install it does anyone have the measurement of exactly where I need to place it? Thanks.

Yes, all 66s have the front hood emblem. The AIM shows you where to put that one and the rear one (an identical emblem) but it does not give any measurements. The illustrations can be found on pages F80 and F82, also called 1 ASM F1 and 1 ASM F3. I may be in the same predicament soon, so I'll need a template from someone whose hood has the holes - I don't even have my hood yet!

Ronald said:
Do all 66 Corvettes have the Corvette Stingray emblem on the front driver's side of the hood? Mine does not, so i want to install it does anyone have the measurement of exactly where I need to place it? Thanks.

If you have an emblem, use it to look for any possible indications in the paint of where the holes may have been filled in at some time.

If you can even spot two, the rest are easy.

Thanks for these replies. I wonder if I have a 65 hood because I can not see where any holes were filled in. Any difference between a 65 hood and a 66? Mine is a 327. Maybe there was a switch, but that seems strange as the car was never in an accident and is pretty much stock. I am wondering if someone maybe put a hood scoop on the original hood, then the next owner replaced the hood to bring it back to stock. I was kind of hoping there was some rare exception that some 66's did not have the emblem. Anyway I do have the emblem (Christmas present) and I need to install it. Would appreciate if someone could confirm where I should position it.

Ronald,
First welcome to the forum man! You will not find a better place to ask questions... Trust me I know.. I can't get the answer off my hood right now but I'm sure someone will give you exactly what you need... Dave...

Ronald said:
Thanks for these replies. I wonder if I have a 65 hood because I can not see where any holes were filled in. Any difference between a 65 hood and a 66?

Seems to me that there are access holes in the bottom of the hood reinforcement in the left front area to allow access to the speed nuts for the emblem. These holes were only present on the '66 hoods.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong. It has been a while since I had a '66

Welcome to the CAC Ronald, you will love it here.

Ronald:

The '66 hood will have access holes in the underside, to permit tightening of the speed nuts.

My 66 is not here but if someone will take a ruler and lay it next to the holes and take a digital picture and post it you could create a extremely accurate template to work from. If no one does it I will try and do it when I visit my daughter on the first.

Tyler

Thanks for all these replies. Still a bit worried about why my hood does not have the emblem. I saw this picture of a 66 on Vette finders.com They are asking a good price, so one would think it would be original, and it does not have the emblem. Any thoughts on this? Is it at all possible that some 66s did not have the emblem?

http://www.vettefinders.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cardetail&id=5578&g=2

In anycase, I can see no spot where there were holes in my hood. Would the holes be hidden by the reinforcement frame of the hood?

Man this is a great site, sure glad I found it!

Thanks.

The vette on VetteFinders isn't an original car by any means, at first glance it has a 350 cubic inch engine(wrong for a '66), the wrong wheels, so it certainly shouldn't be used to judge originality.

rlm :cool

Ronald,

The emblem on the hood of the 66 was one way Chevy used to differentiate it from the 65, not much else really changed on the body. I doubt seriously if there were any 66s made without them, and the higher the VIN, the less chance of it happening. If you can't find the access holes on the underside of the hood (a SB or BB hood, makes no difference) then at the very least the hood is not original or it was repaired incorrectly - perhaps on purpose!

Tyler, or anyone with a 66. Anyone know how I can definitively tell what year my hood is? (difference between a 65 and a 66)

I am still looking for the measurement for where to place the emblem. I have looked through some magazines and have seen it positioned differently. Would it be different for a 427 hood? One photo I have of a 427 shows the emblem positioned farther up the hood. Mine is a 327.

I really hate to drill holes in my hood, so if I am going to do it, I want to get it right. My car was manufactured in April 66, so I guess there is no hope that it was a "rarity" that it was left off. Hate to drill, but if I must, I must.

Thanks

Ronald, my 66 is downstairs in a nice warm garage. I will get a sketch of the hole locations and email to you later this evening.

Ronald, I have a sketch to email to you but you do not have email setup in your profile. My 66 small block hood is original. There is 1-1/2" of paint showing between the bottom edge of the emblem (below the "StingRay" bar) and the front edge of the hood. There is 2-5/8" of paint showing between the same "StingRay" bar and the left edge of the hood. I also have the detail for the clearance holes in the back side.

If you click on my user name and email me your email address I will forward the sketches. The same goes for anyone else. I don't have a location setup yet to post these pictures.

I am sure there is some slight variations in location of the emblems. I remember trying to install the cross flag emblems in a 63 with a new nose on the car. I measured several 63 and 64 cars and finall took an average. They all varied a little....up to 1/4" . Sometimes I think we try to be a little too perfect not realizing how crudely the factory located these emblems.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom