Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hooker side pipe follow-up

Black Thunder

Corvette
1968 Black Custom Vert 454 BB
Should have stated what I tried to clarify. I removed the collectors from the car & the two sheet metal screws holding the glass pack insert. I saturated it with WD-40 then using a rod I whacked the old glass pack with all I had and it will not budge in either direction. Previous owner had hollowed out the glass pak and with 500+ horsepower this thing is LOUD! Thanks for earlier prompt replys!

penetrating oil then heat

Try penetrating oil ... some good stuff out there ... better at rust cracking than the blue tool. Let it sit overnight. Failing that, try heating it ... then whacking it.

Once you get them out, here's a preventive measure I've used with HD baffles in straight pipes ... not perfect but it might help in the future. To help PREVENT this ... try some ANTISEIZE PAST on the baffles' edges before you re-install baffles. The good stuff is rated at very high temp. Essential for many other uses, a one pound can'll last most hobbyists a lifetime. My 3-pounder is at least 25 years ... can't read what's left of the label.
JACK:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom