Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HOOKER side pipe mufflers ?

G

Gunther

Hi
I need a set of big block HOOKER side pipe reverse flow mufflers for my 68 big block convertible.
During the bi-yearly governmental car check up, a jalous inspector had to test the noise and it failed.
83 decibel are allowed and he measured 87.
I took the glass packs out and they are corroded and open at the ends, so I suspect some of the glass missing inside.
Just to make sure, I pass, I like to install the restrictive reverse flow mufflers, but don't realy like to leave them in there, so used once should do.
Are the JCL spiral baffles more noisy than the glasspacks ?
Thanks Gunther

Gunther,
The spiral baffles are the best for performance but they are quite a bit louder than the mufflers.

Mike

Gunther,

Can you install some kind of temp baffle? I am at a creative loss at the moment, but it seems as if you could stuff something up there to make it quiet enough to pass the test.

I opted against the spiral baffles myself as my 90 Vette is already too loud, and even at a loss of some ponies, I just did not want to get into too much noise on the 69. The sound with the full baffles in there is just about perfect.

My father likes to remind me that old glasspacks could be "refilled," so to speak. Is there any parts store around you that may have this fiberglass packing? Then you could just stuff some in there and see if it will hold. Hopefully, it won't blow out during the inspection.

--Bullitt

Bullit>> A muffler shop might do it

bobchad >>steel wool, yep it lasts longer.

Paul

Hi
Thanks guys , for all advises.
The problem with the glass packs is that they have a open tube and the glass is packed around it.
I think even with new glass packs, it will not pass this stupid restrictive noise test of max 83 DB at 4.000 RPM.
Neil ( NOMAD78SA ) from the corvetteforum offered me a set of reverse flow mufflers for just the shipping cost.
What would I do without this Forums over here in Europe ?
You guys are just too helpfull.
I'm sure that with the restrictive reverse flow mufflers, it will pass the test. Good thing is that this mufflers will hold for 100 years as they will only drive 10 miles every 2 years, to the test station.
Of course, the glass packs or may be a set of still to be purchased spiral mufflers will drive the rest of the time.
I will post the DB rate they measure with the reverse flows.
Gunther

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom