Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Horn contact assembly

L

lheindrich

So I am trying to get my horn to function I have a 1975 with a tilt telescopic steering wheel. I have everything apart right down to the lower assembly extention hub. I have a GM AIM with the diagram for the steering wheel and column. I have a new contact brush kit from Ecklers but I am unsure how to assembly the three parts in the extention hub because the AIM diagram does not show the pin, spring, and black cap that came in my kit with very good detail. Could someone please help! Thanks in advance.

Not sure how that all goes together, but I think the correct year service manual from GM has the detail you are lookoing for.

Also, I'm not 100% sure of how it works in 1975 models. . .but make sure you check the cooper strap in the rag joint. it is very common for the cooper stap to break inside the rag joint. . .and that is critical for the horn to work. If it's broken, just solder it back together and happy honking. This is what my issue turened out to be. . .changed everything in the column only to find out that the strap in the rag joint was bad.

Rag joint is the coubler betweent he end of the steering column and the sttering box. Need to remove the column to get at the rag joint.

-Bolisk

The defining source for all things related to steering:

Jim Shea’s Steering Papers

If it's not in these papers, it's either not a steering thing or does not exist.

FWIW: The 3 parts in the contact kit , cut the plunger to the correct length. I installed the spring, then the plunger with the big end on the spring, then the plastic retainer on top of that. Not 100% sure it's correct, but it worked for me. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom