Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Horn doesn't work

vet'svette

Corvette
1977 Blue Coupe, 1990 Red Coupe
I have a 1990 Coupe and the horn doesn't work. Removed the steering wheel and reposition the spring and it worked. But after a short time it stopped again.
What is the fix for this? Is spring tension the problem? Help.
Got cut off in traffic and when I went to warn the guy who cut me off I was without the horn. Yelling beep beep doesn't seem to cut it.
Thank you,

Did you clean the connection area that the pin rides on? (Even good spring pressure won't overcome a dirty connection ring.

Horns

Often it's the ground of the horn to the chassis. On earlier C4's the ground is via the horn mounting bolt onto the frame. On later C4's the horn ground has a separate wire with the same corrosion problem at the frame.

My horn did the same thing and I found that the small spring under the button contact was broken. This contact should be touching the ring from underneath. It sounds funny but I replaced the broken spring with a cut down spring out of a cheap bic pen. The pen was in the console when I bought the car.:D

When I activitate the security system the horn works, I got it to work by taking off the steering wheel and repositioning the small spring in the steering column. But it stopped again. The spring doesn't look broken but I bet it is either to weak to work and therefore falls out of place or is broken and therefore there isn't enough spring to keep it in place. Thanks to all that replied.

The problem looks like it is under the spring you have to remove the steering wheel and I just ground down a bolt and put a ink pen spring inside and it works fine now.

The spring will not stay in. I guess I will need to pull the steering wheel. What is under the spring to hold it in place?

The simple method of choice!

Keep the window down and yell BEEP BEEP! Nobody listens anyway and our horns sound like they belong in a Yugo!!!!!

Air horns are the answer.

Alan

I had this problem on a 95. The positioning of the horns allows moisture to get inside and corode the innards to the point they won't work. Before you go pulling the wheel and all, I'd check with a volt meter to see if you have power at the horn connectors when you press the wheel buttons. If there's power, you can buy somereplacement horns that are loud from Autozone (and others) for about $15 each.

JCS44
96 LT4 Vert, Blk/Blk

vet'svette said:
When I activitate the security system the horn works.
SO, the horn side checks out. Must be the wheel honker.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom