Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Horn question

Corvette
'72 Targa Blue Coupe
Hi folks -

This time I have a question for the C3-ers. My horn doesn't work. The horn relay is fine, got power to the horn. Took a battery, jumped to the horn and no dice.

So, I go shopping. Zip's has the best deal. But, do I have an "A", "C" or "D" note horn? How do I tell? :confused

The car was built in mid-June of 1972. Which means, Cruisefest will be very close to it's birthday! :birth

Antbody got some advice on determining the horn tone? By the way, I haven't removed it yet to get the numbers, and I also note (no pun intended) there is only one horn, not two. Is this correct? Thanks for any info. :)

Rick
:w

i believe you should have 2 horns a high note and a low note horn that sound in unison. if your one note horn is original, it's probably very old, tired, and full of over 30 years of road debris and dirt. if i remember correctly, the horns are wired from the relay to one of them and then a "splitter" type lug connection allows for connection to the second horn. interestingly enough, corvette central only shows 2 choices (high and low note), not three for the c-3 as does mid-america. i didn't check any further than those 2 suppliers.

good luck.

Thanks, srs244. :) That's a start. Guess I'll look over the Assembly Manual tonight.

I was kinda hoping someone would know what to look for as far as a stamping or casting # on the horn to determine tone.

And it looks like now I gotta figure out where the second one mounts, and how to run the aux. wire. The one on it is pretty much dead center between the headlight vacuum cans, and the hot wire feeding it is a single wire/single terminal-no provision for a second jumper to another horn.

This is one town you really want a horn, unfortunately. :eyerole And one of these, too, also unfortunately. :r

Rick

RodsandRides:

1971 Corvettes went to using 1 horn, you only need ONE.

RodsnRides said:
Thanks, srs244. :) That's a start. Guess I'll look over the Assembly Manual tonight.

I was kinda hoping someone would know what to look for as far as a stamping or casting # on the horn to determine tone.

And it looks like now I gotta figure out where the second one mounts, and how to run the aux. wire. The one on it is pretty much dead center between the headlight vacuum cans, and the hot wire feeding it is a single wire/single terminal-no provision for a second jumper to another horn.

This is one town you really want a horn, unfortunately. :eyerole And one of these, too, also unfortunately. :r

Rick

been there, done that, lol. i live in south florida and one of my sons lives in your neighborhood, littleton!! norm early a good friend was a fraternity brother of mine years ago, (he was dist attorny when colorado debated the open carry gun stuff) so i understand the :r reference LMAO!! i stand corrected however on the 1 horn per above post. my 71 454 el camino has 2 horns (hi and lo tones) for what that's worth!

believe it or not,c is the loudest. middle c is the sound of a foghorn.

Thanks, Mike-that's the kind of information I was looking for.

I appreciate your input, folks. Have a great day. Cruisefest is just a month away! :)

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom