Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Horns on '82'

Rmodeler

Corvette
'82' Silver Blue
When they do work, they sound like a sick cow!:chuckle How do you get to them? I can barely feel them, let alone get to them to take them off.

It s not easy,but they can be gotten to...
Did you try from the underside of the vette???
you could also try taking the front grill off to access that way(If possible)
you almost have to be a contortionist....:ugh :ugh

A bad ground is the usual culprit for horn problems. Check the grounds and make sure the terminals and attaching points are clean. Ditto for the horn contact.

:)

The horn for the stock alarm is even worse to get to.

my horn barely works, this doesn't sound fun. And the alarm wires were cut long ago. I am thinking once painted I will just get an alarm system put in, not that I hope to let her out of my sight!

You mean there is a 3rd horn? ;shrug When the alarm goes off, it just goes ca-buuk, ca-buuk!:bash

I don't know about the '82's but the '81's use the same horns as the regular horn system...I do believe they are the same,I'll check..

On my '69, the stock car alarm horn is located at the rear of the car.

My horns also used to sound like a sick cow. It turned out that only one was working. I replaced them with stock GM reproductions. Each horn is set a different pitch (one high and another low). The difference in sound is subltle, but when activated in unison give that familiar "real" car horn sound.... unlike the sick cow -- or the "beep beep" of many imports.

Not sure if the 79 is the same as the 82. i just trouble shoot my horn system and had to replace the relay and one horn. it was actually a piece of cake to do. horns where easy to get to and replaced the one bad horn with an old toyota horn i had laying around. the one bad horn affected the sound of the good horn. to check the horn run a wire from the car battery(positive) to the horn terminal.

The diaphragms in your horns could be rotted out, causing them to sound sick. The '82 alarm system uses the same horns Replacement horns are readily available. One is a high note and the other is a low note. The brackets and wiring would have to be adapted to the Vette. If you wanted the original style horns, they can be rebuilt.

Thanks, I was messing around with them today and kept blowing the fuse. What is the correct set up at the steering wheel? You have the little spring that goes in the hole, the little round plastic insulator, and the round pin with the head. What is the sequence of assembly? Then I have 3 -what looks like spacer metal rings, the metal ring spacer with 3 holes that the screws go thru and the horn contact assembly w/ the leg that makes contact with the pin & spring. I haven't checked out the horn relay yet. I've only used the braille system to check out the actual horns. Who designed that set up!!:mad Any ;help would be appreciated.

my horn/alarm went nuts right after i bought it and the horn took a crap, after i tried to get to it i gave up, now until i get to fix it right i carry with me one of those ridiculously loud air horns for when i get ****ed off:bash

The horn in my '69 sounds like the old "See The USA in Your Chevrolet" theme song at 100db.

I love air horns.

My horns sounded anemic, too. Replaced them with OEM and they sounded better...but still pathetic (mine were up front, and they're easiest to reach from underneath, by the way).

Even though my horns are now brand new, does anyone know where I can find a really LOUD horn to replace them with? I wouldn't mind them sounding like a train, if it got attention when I needed it!

-----
I also just bought the metal retainer (don't know what else to call it) just under the steering wheel cap, that has the plastic grommets on it that activate the horn. The original was missing a couple of them, and the horn would only sound if you hit the lower left side of the button (which is hard to do in a pinch, particularly making a turn, when the "lower left" has moved! :eyerole

Going to try to put it in this weekend, when I have the battery disconnected to install a starter heat shield anyway!

My horns sounded anemic, too. Replaced them with OEM and they sounded better...but still pathetic (mine were up front, and they're easiest to reach from underneath, by the way).

Even though my horns are now brand new, does anyone know where I can find a really LOUD horn to replace them with? I wouldn't mind them sounding like a train, if it got attention when I needed it!

-----
I also just bought the metal retainer (don't know what else to call it) just under the steering wheel cap, that has the plastic grommets on it that activate the horn. The original was missing a couple of them, and the horn would only sound if you hit the lower left side of the button (which is hard to do in a pinch, particularly making a turn, when the "lower left" has moved! :eyerole

Going to try to put it in this weekend, when I have the battery disconnected to install a starter heat shield anyway!

You want loud?

Go here:

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/spec.htm

Scroll down to almost the very bottom of the page under popular tunes available and try a few of the samples. THESE THINGS ARE LOUD!

I have model 440 in my Triple black 1973 Eldorado Convertible. It's so loud it'll damn near wake the dead guy in my trunk.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom