Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hot Chips

Z

Zora1

I'm getting ready to order a new prom for my 84'. I've got some literature from Performance Resource saying their chips are the best. They compare theirs to ADS, GM, Guldstrand Engineering, Hypertech, and TPIS. Is there really any difference between the different chips, and also, since many have 1 & 2 stage chips, which chip offers the best balance between performance and general driving? What I'd like is a chip that offers good driveability/economy at low throttle speeds, and stonger performance at say 60-100% throttle. I have flowmasters, a new cat, and a 160 themostat and switch installed. :confused :confused :confused

Purely my opinion...
I put a Hypertech in my84 when I had it along with the 160 stat. Quite frankly I couldn't tell any difference. Now in my92 I put an Ed Wright chip (Fastchip) w/160 stat. This is a Stage II chip. What I noticed with the Fastchip is the engine is smoother. My gas mileage is about the same. I believe you can expect most of these chips to make their gains more on the top end. According to Ed Wright he tunes the whole rpm range starting around 1200rpm or so. One other company says they do that too. That would be Superchips. When I researched which ones were most widely used I got a lot of positive comments on Ed Wright. His chips are only made for specific GM cars like Vette, Camaro, Impala etc.. The other companies seem to make chips for just about everything. Also Ed charges $159. Most charge $200.
Don't expect anything earth shattering from an off the shelf chip for a mostly stock car.
Graham

My experiance

I put in the 160 stat and switch and when I was looking into chips there wasn't much I could find other than hypertech. I'm happy with my stage 2 but I don't really have anything to compare it to other than a GM chip that was in there. It did smooth out regular driving and changed my shift points (my overdrive doesn't kick in till around 45mph now--used to be 35)--made the car scream at WOT. I paid around $150 for mine thru autozone. Graham is right that you probably won't notice much except at the top end and a mostly stock vette will still be a mostly stock vette--still the chip improved my overall performance and I'm glad I got it.
--Drew:w

Graham & Drew,

Thanks for the advice. I realize that it's not going to do much, but hey, every little bit counts. If fact, after each new thing I do, I always feel like it runs just a little bit better, then after a few days, I don't notice it. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. I did run a 1/4 test & tune last year, and hopefully will do one again this year after I get the prom.

Allan

P.S. Anymore testimonials out there??

Just went to the Fastchip website, and unfortunately, they don't list 1984 models, and want $350 for a custom chip!:cry

Guys,

This is something that I've been looking into as well, a chip that is. I've basically been told that Hypertech basically turns your fans on earlier and I think for $200, that's not really worth it.

I would like some more feedback on these Ed Wright chips, I've heard nothing but good things about them. I read some things on his website, but of course it's his site and he would have nothing but good things to say.:L

Zora I'm with Drewster, I run the Hyperwreck chip in my 84 with similar results. The two mods I did that I noticed the most performance gains from were changing to 1.6 to 1 roller rockers and converting the exhaust to a true dual exhaust system. Other small mods include K&N air filter, March underdrive pulley system, TPIS plug wires, Bosch platium plus four plugs, Hyperwreck cap, coil & rotor, and Acell ignition module. Not much but every little bit helps. Good luck 84 CF 91 ZR-1

Zora1 said:
Just went to the Fastchip website, and unfortunately, they don't list 1984 models, and want $350 for a custom chip!:cry

Didn't realize that Ed doesn't touch the 84. Here is another one for you that has some good feedback. And they do make one for an 84. www.jetchip.com

Ed Wright (fastchip) is the most popular for the L98/LT#/LS# cars. Not just Vettes. Go check some other Vette sites and the Camaro/Firebird sites and search for chips. You should find plenty of comments and some comments on Jetchip. Superchip also doesn't make one for your car... :(

Graham

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom