Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Video: Hot Rod Hacks up a Corvette

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
1_1731.jpg

On Monday July 12, 2010 the staff of HOT ROD Magazine towed a beat-down '85 Chevrolet Corvette to Toyota Speedway at Irwindale to do a little track testing. At the end of the day, a trackside dumpster was full of body, chassis, and interior parts, and the Vette was knocking down road course lap times that were two seconds faster than when the car was stock. This is the Corvette Hack.

Watch here: http://vettetube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=144e4e8103a661f9a78b

Added by: PBriand
Tags: 1985 crash demolish
Date: 2010-07-20

More...

Wow I just lost all respect for HOT ROD magazine. Screw you people at HOT ROD. Why:confused.

How to Make your entire generation look stupid

From the same people (obviously) that brought us "JackAss" and Americas Dumbest....

More sub-intelligence.

These idiots are undoubtably over paid and definately out of touch. That car would have meant something to a first timer or some kid that wanted a project vette...a starter car. A dream come true to somebody.

I'll never contribute to their paychecks again with a purchase of that rag...:mad

cc: HotRod magazine:finger

Hot rod hack

I have an 85 and can't believe anyone could do something like that, must suffer from deep envy.

IIRC maybe 20 years ago they did the same thing with I think, a 70s Caddy with a 500 incher. Strickly in the1/4 mile. No mods, just showing what can be done by subtracting weight.

Nothing personal to C4 owners, but there are more than enough "seen better days" C4s for this one sacrifice.

Mark

REALLY! Really...

I am dumbfounded! I can't believe a car magazine could do something so incredibility stupid as to piss off an entire group of car enthusiasts as the Corvette crowd. I will never buy that no-class, POS rag of a magazine after what they did.

:finger hot rod magazine!

Relax guys,this poor car had been a flood victim and was one step away from the crusher. I like to think it went out in a "Blaze of Glory".

From the same people (obviously) that brought us "JackAss" and Americas Dumbest....

More sub-intelligence.

These idiots are undoubtably over paid and definately out of touch. That car would have meant something to a first timer or some kid that wanted a project vette...a starter car. A dream come true to somebody.

I'll never contribute to their paychecks again with a purchase of that rag...:mad

cc: HotRod magazine:finger

Gotta agree here. What was the point of this ? I just watched it twice and still don't get it. What am I missing here ?

Gotta agree here. What was the point of this ? I just watched it twice and still don't get it. What am I missing here ?

I'm deaf, so I can't hear the audio. So I don't know what kind of explanation there was. That said you have to read the story to understand. Like I said in a previos post, it's all about gaining preformance by subtracting WEIGHT. Free speed.:upthumbs

Mark

I expect Hot Rod TV is jealous of the tremendous success of shows like "Top Gear" which occasionally feature episodes of exceedingly silly antics.

In other words, this was Hot Rod's flawed attempt at imitation, using weight reduction as an excuse for destruction. FAIL.

-Mac

With C4 parts getting harder and harder to find I find this unforgivable.
There is someone that could have used every part destroyed. This could have been done with some rust bucket. :mad

Glenn
:w

I'm not deaf but my wife says I don't listen. Pretty close to the same, eh?

-Mac

NO MAC. Being deaf and not listening aren't even in the same universe. :mad:mad:mad You shoud hope you don't find out personally.

Mark

NO MAC. Being deaf and not listening aren't even in the same universe. :mad:mad:mad You shoud hope you don't find out personally.

Mark

Sorry my weak attempt at humour fell flat. You're right; there is no comparison. Please accept my apology.

-Mac

Accepted. I was at least fortunate not to be born deaf. By the time I was 22 I knew something was wrong, and it has slowly progressed to the point of disability retirement in 07 at age 53. I haven't been able to listen to music or have a phone coversation in ten years. This was passed from my mother and i've passed it to my son.

On the upside, I'm not bothered by piston slap or squeeks and rattles.:L

Mark

They are idiots.

Like I said in a previos post, it's all about gaining preformance by subtracting WEIGHT. Free speed.:upthumbs

Mark
I think that goes without saying, or in this case without demolishing a corvette , to illustrate this most basic principle.

That car could have been used for educational purposes in a much better way.

Maybe these fools would have comprehended this idea much better if they used a loaded and then unloaded big rig.

Hot Rod Hacks Up a Corvette

I was waiting to hear comments when I first saw this article. I can understand both sides. Hot Rod's editor David Frieberger (sorry if that is misspelled) has been an outside the box thinking kind of guy his entire career. As previously mentioned, the article did clearly illustrate how removing weight increases performance, although I suspect most of us already knew that. Bob Dylan had a vision back in 1963 when he wrote "The Times They Are A Changin" Consider how many useable Vettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds et al went away during Cash to Clunkers?

Relax guys,this poor car had been a flood victim and was one step away from the crusher. I like to think it went out in a "Blaze of Glory".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom