Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

how about shocks

C

cmegga

Now looking into a good set of performence shocks I can do this spring. They are going into an 81, plannig on doing all 4 whike im in there, Has anyone had good luck with a specific brand?? I saw blistein has a replacemnet set out there and I have heard they are decent. Want to get these best handeling and cornering I can with out making the ride to ruff. Any thought ?

I have Bilsteins and my car rides very smooth for a vette. I don't know about the others as there are several good choices. If your just looking for a shock for street driving I would think any good quality gas shock would work. Some of the exotic brands can get expensive.

I have KYBs on all four corners. My two cents worth? I don't like them in the rear . . . front's okay but the rear is too mushy.

I'm running KYB all around with a composite spring. So far I'm satisfied. I do agree with rpounds that they are not a true performance shock but I wasn't looking for the harsh ride of a bilstein and the composite really improves handling.
I'm sure many more will chime in.
So many choices:eyerole

I have just recently put on the KYB's on my '73 as well, along with the composite rear spring. Overall I like the ride, but have to agree that they are a bit soft. However, I have heard a lot of people say the Bilstein's are too harsh. It depends on what you want to do with the car. If your planning on racing, get the Bilsteins or something similar. If not, get the KYB's. In fact you can get a hell of a deal on the KYB's from Summit. I think I paid $28 each for the Gas-A-Just.

KYB's

JB,

I've got KYB's with the composite rear spring on my '81, and I too.... as all have said, like the ride but they are not performance shocks. They are great for long distance runs. I've put numerous 12-15 hr rides in my '81 and the ride was very reasonable. They also last. The KYB's I've got are over 15 years old and have 60,000 mi. No leaks, still firm. The Bilstein's I had on my '72 made my fillings fall out. Harsh but would handle hard abuse driving. It depends on what you want.

Good Luck.......... Nut

I use Bilstein sports , all 4 corners. They were designed well to work in a driving vette suspension. They are a good compliment to the rest of the upgraded suspension on my 69. Ive gotten all my suspension parts From VB&P
Much luck
TC
PS they are pricey in comparison with most of the other brands mentioned

KYB Shocks

I'm in the middle of a rear end rehab on my 1980, and was also wondering what to do about the shocks. I'm going to stick with the original spring, and wonder if anyone has any experience with the KYB shocks and the original spring. I'd prefer a bit of a softer ride, it's a bit harsh with the original setup. Also where is a good place to get the KYB shocks?

Love the forum, the amount of help out there is awesome!

Steve

Boy, do I feel cheap. As I have a stock suspension, I chose the econo route and went with high quality Monroe Monroematic gas shocks. They have worked great. Certainly not a performance shock, but I don't race the vette. They are the newest part of my suspension and are probably a little better than the factory Delco gas shocks. Boy, do I feel cheap:cry

Regards,

Jim

Hey, if I like something, I dont care who makes it (cheap or not). I say, if you like 'em their worth every penny, even half penny if they are cheap. I doubt you got out for much less than the $28 a shock I paid for the KYB's. Look who's cheap. :_rock

Can anybody recommend AC Delco Reactek shocks? My mechanic says good things about them. All I want is a smooth ride and to maintain the current handling. I'm not looking for anything that will stiffen up the suspension.

I saw that these shocks have a 24 month warranty where the ACDelco Gas-Charged Shocks With RoadResponse have a limited lifetime warranty. Any thoughts on this possible option?

Bob

Bilstein's are not just decent, they are the best shocks made. I have them on my Tundra and on my Cummins one ton, and would have no other for those vehicles. But for my Vette, Bilsteins up front and stock Delcos for the rear. I need the softest rear shock I can get so the fibreglas spring can keep my back out of pain!

BobChad- My mechanic also recommends those AC-Delco shocks.He has installed them on many C-3's including my car.I like the way my car rides-handles.

Shocks

I had used Bilsteins in my Vette. If I tried to rock the car it would not move. I now used AC Delco Heavy Duty Shocks. I love them. They are soft on the highway but I can still do the speed limit on the exit ramps. I put the bilsteins in on occasion just to have fun, i have a nickname for them " the kidney killers" if that tells you something.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom