Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How do I justify 2 Corvettes?

His and her Corvettes???
Just a thought, c4c5

Yeah Buddy. . . :rotfl

P6231024.jpg

The way I see it, is the old saying that Im on a see food diet. I eat everything I see. That is why corvettes are classed by number C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 :L

Never ask, if you can do anything.
If you have to ask, you aint you, you are a yew!
They can't say no, if you don't ask.
I got a few more, if you need them.

I think I may have made just the right move. Last Wednesday was our anniversary and Friday night was her birthday. She got a card, roses and some expensive personalized/embossed stationery for the anniversary (I got a card and a $5 tire pressure guage). Friday I gave her a nice card and an expensive gold necklace,.............AND Friday night a surprise birthday party at the Country Club, professional decoration, open bar, hors de-ouvres, then dinner for everyone and of course, a birthday cake for about 40 family and friends - in our small town, it was a Major social event (and expensive). Best of all it was about fifty times better than her best friend's birthday party last year.

Now she owes me big!

By the way, its victory red, black top and interior, Z-51, loaded, about $68K MSRP. I'll let it sit on the showroom floor for now in hopes that Chevy will put a rebate on it (there are a lot of unsold 2007 and 2008 Corvettes in my area) before too long; I bought my 2004 with a $6K rebate.

I have one other possibility. I get a new Company vehicle of my choice each 3 years and I have been in the one I have now 3 and 1/2 years. I could choose the '08 Vette as my Company car, but I don't want the Company to own it.

C5s and C6s not a good investment? Now you're into my area of expertise big time.

Look back at 1973 and the first gasoline crisis. Gas prices doubled and all of the car makers went berserk trying to make cars more economical. The Corvettes of the 1970s had less than 200 hp and they are still worth very little because they had little power; in 1973 at the beginning, I bought a 455 Olds that came from the factory with a 2.73 rear end (I got a ticket in that car for doing 138 and wasn't even trying to go fast). Look at what the high (390-435) hp 427s made 1966-1970 go for now; its the big power Vettes that get the big bucks. The 2008 is the first Corvette roadster since 1970 with 430 hp available (the first one over 390 hp with AC); it will be a classic.

Inflation is lot of it and we're about to get a huge dose; maybe even hyperinflation. $68K may look cheap for a used motor scooter in 5 years.

I paid $2,800 for a new SS396 Chevelle in 1966 and $2,900 for new GTO in 1968; gas was 19 cents a gallon and you couldn't get $20 worth of groceries in a grocery cart. In 1966 a nice 3 BR, 2 bath, brick house in the suburbs cost $15K. My first house cost $35K in 1975 and by 1980 the same house was $100K.

You can hedge inflation by buying farm land, gold, or by borrowing now and paying back with cheaper dollars in the future. This was a well known practice in the 1970's everyone bought on the come.

And a 2003, stock C5 coup with 25K miles sold for $32K in my area last week. 2004 C5s are selling for about 10-15% more than 2003s (much better service records). I paid $36K for mine new and it was loaded (dealer cost less $6K rebate) and I know I could get $36K for it in a heartbeat (and another $5K from pull offs). Owning and driving a car 4 years and having it worth what it cost new is a great investment. And only someone who hasn't owned a C5 would criticize it; it's a very sweet car, especially the last few years of the run.

My wife's 2007 Caddy cost $58,000 last February - it might be worth $35K today? That's reality.

I'm very afraid that history will repeat itself and we'll go to something like a lightweight, HYBRID Vette with a turbocharged 4 cylinder and an electric motor. UGH!!!

Never ask, if you can do anything.
If you have to ask, you aint you, you are a yew!
They can't say no, if you don't ask.
I got a few more, if you need them.
It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permission :chuckle
Andy :w

And a 2003, stock C5 coup with 25K miles sold for $32K in my area last week.
That guy paid to much!A stock 05 w/16000 miles sold for the same (32k) in my area.I guess it's all about what one is willing to pay.I still say that these mass produced c5's and c6's are not investments that will make you money ....unless you're planning on sitting on them for 40 years with the hope they will become what the 60's muscle cars are today.

• Your list in your first post seems like more than enough justification
  • In case it isn't, then this is a convincing addition:
    I used this line. Some men have many women and one car and other men have many cars but one woman. That's when I had five vehicles. The wife never asks about new additions.:upthumbs
  • Keep working on her with the persuasive tactics. This is a great start:
    ... She got a card, roses and some expensive personalized/embossed stationery for the anniversary... a nice card and an expensive gold necklace,.............AND Friday night a surprise birthday party at the Country Club, professional decoration, open bar, hors de-ouvres, then dinner for everyone and of course, a birthday cake for about 40 family and friends - in our small town, it was a Major social event (and expensive). Best of all it was about fifty times better than her best friend's birthday party last year.
    Now THAT's what counts! :m
  • Like you said, the investment angle may make more sense now than in a long time. With $4.00 plus gas prices, inflation/recession looming, we may be on the brink of another period of vehicles such as those that came out in the mid-late 70's and 80's. In 10 years, after a slew of more econoboxes and hybrids, a "classic" big-hp 2008 vette might be just the ticket.

May you be successful convincing her.

Tammy

Biggest reason I can think of is you have done you work.
successful children
great job
good marriage

Now it is time to indulge yourself with no regrets. Because you can. Buy it enjoy and don't worry about an investment. When you sell find the butt for the seat.

I would also sell the point that the new Vette is for you and the 2004 is hers. Don't worry, most likely, she will have you do all the fun stuff (like maintenance and most of the driving anywhere). Pretty soon, you'll play more with both Vettes. Trust me!

We are is the same boat as you. We just steped up and added to our 2001 Vette w/ 15k miles. Hers is a new loaded 2008 Crystel red met. We love them both!

I am in a similar predicament...
2008 Corvette
1986 Corvette
1986 Monte Carlo SS
2007 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T
And...only my wife and I to drive them. When I picked up my 08 Corvette, my plans for mod'ing the 86 Vette went out the window. Originally, I had planned on racing the 86. Instead, I am going to sell the 86 and use some of that money to mod the 08. My Monte Carlo has too much into it, so I am keeping that as my second drag/show car. And the Daytona is now my wife's DD.

Now, I didn't read every word but, I justify having two Corvettes by covering one eye, thank you very much, Happy 4TH to all.............Joe

I haven't read through the whole thread either but I can think of something which may help...

Is there something your significant other wants? A high dollar item perhaps that the two of you have discussed and agreed is just too expensive or frivolous or otherwise out of reach? Or maybe something she wants and you don't?

Make it possible for her. Insist she spend money on it, buy it, have it, plan it, go there... whatever it is. Even if it costs as much as the Corvette you want.

Seems to me that would go a long way toward resolving the issue.
:wJane Ann

I think you summed it up. Plus you need a new car to go with the rest. Nothing better than a new C6.

Here's my problem. I am an empty nester with well established,self supporting children. My wife and I have the following vehicles - 2004 Corvette, 2007 Cadillac DTS Platinum, 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z-71, 1998 Chevy CK 2500 4x4 pickup (tows boat), and a 2003 Triumph motorcycle. Yeah, 5 vehicles for 2 people, but each one has a necessary (at least for us) special purpose. I want a new 2008 Corvette, but I don't want to sell my 2004 as I have spent about $15,000 on modifications to get it the way I like it. My wife says, one Vette is enough.

The only good arguments I have are 1) I need a roadster (convertible - I really do because then I get to haul around teenage beauty queens in parades, but can't tell the wife that reason), 2) the 2008 looks like it may be a great investment (I have a loaded Z-51 already picked out - how many stock 430 hp Vettes have been or will be made?), 3) the Vette gets great gas milage, 4) I can afford it, 5) I am CFO of a business that owns a Chevy dealership and I can get it at cost, and 6) I have a GM mastercard with considerable credits to use.

What other agruments can I use to get another Vette?
I had always wanted a vette since I was 15 years old. On my 45th birthday I told my wife I was having a mid life crisis and to deal with it I was considering getting a girl friend or a corvette. She said coupe or convertible?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom