Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How do I remove original rotors?

Craig-o

Corvette
2001 Navy Blue Convert, 6-Speed
Help!

After having tires installed, I started to get a bit of a shimmy when braking. Although I specifically requested hand torquing the lug nuts, I'm sure they used an impact wrench and bent the rotors.

No problem, brake pads were such a cinch to replace, I'll just pull the rotors and have them machined. But wait, how do I get the rotors off? It would seem that I must remove the brake caliper mounting bracket, but I can't budge either the top or bottom bolt holding that bracket on. Is there some trick to this, or do I just need more leverage than I'm getting?

Any help is appreciated.

Craig-o

Corvette fever July 2000 has an article on replacing stock brakes with Vette Brake products Rotors and hawk Pads. The important thing about this article is that all directions for removal and replacement are included. Send me a fax # and i will get them off to you

Craig-o said:
I can't budge either the top or bottom bolt holding that bracket on. Is there some trick to this, or do I just need more leverage than I'm getting?

Any help is appreciated.

Craig-o
Unfortunately the bear is that they are torqued on to 125 lbs. So your solution of more leverage is correct. Try a 1/2" breaker bar. If they are still stuck, I've heard people say that some heat and/or a sharp "rap with a hammer" will help to break the lock-tite used when the bolts were installed.

A breaker bar with a long pipe over the handle should give you all the leverage you need.

I used a 1/2" breaker bar and they came right off without a problem. The service manual stipulates replacement of the bolts in case you are not aware. They can also be carefully cleaned and re-installed with Loctite 271 (red).

Thanks everyone! I needed an excuse to buy a 1/2" drive breaker.

Got them off last night. Had them turned in an hour or so, and cleaned the bolts, applied loctite and had them back on in no time - torqued to 125 ft-lb.

vettenuts said:
I used a 1/2" breaker bar and they came right off without a problem. The service manual stipulates replacement of the bolts in case you are not aware. They can also be carefully cleaned and re-installed with Loctite 271 (red).
Since the service manual specifies replacement, I would replace the bolts. We are talking about what, a $5 replacement cost? The manual may specify replacement due to a special treatment on the bolts that either enables the torque to be maintained or corrosion protection or some other reason. Personally, the replacement cost of the bolts is a small price to pay to avoid problems with the repair job - especially with regard to brakes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom