Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: how do you remove a speedo in a 1960?

Vinny

Corvette
1967 Marina Blue Coupe
This forum has been very helpful. Now I'm wondering if I am able to tackle my biggest problem. Speedo needs to come out and be rebuilt.
Is there a thread that addresses the step by step removal of the instrument cluster for a 58-62? Does the dash pad have to be removed? Any information to encourage or discourage me would be appreciated. thank you :W

1. you can get a service manual and that should have what you want...

or....

you need to remove the dash cluster and after doing that you have easy access to the speedometer. To remove the cluster or gauge pod there is a semi circle of nuts that hold it down. looking up from under th dash you will see an arc of nuts that go on the gauge pod and secure it to the dash.

Make sure you mark all the wires as you remove them, otherwise there is sure to be a ire misplaced. IF you have one of the reproduction color schematics, then it isn't too hard to follow the color coding of the wires......

good luck!

First gear, thank you. Does the dash pad have to be removed? how about lowering the steering column? thanks

I have not pulled a speedometer in the 59. But, I have some photos of what the under side of my dash looks like.

You should definitely take photos of what your wires, etc. look like before your try to remove anything.

Good Luck. :w

Attachments

• P1000596a.jpg
    P1000596a.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 125
  • P1000580a.jpg
    P1000580a.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 119
  • P1000579a.jpg
    P1000579a.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 108
  • P1000578a.jpg
    P1000578a.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 118
  • P1000581a.jpg
    P1000581a.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 114
  • P1000577a.jpg
    P1000577a.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 121
thank you for the photos. they will definitely help, vinny

No the dash pad does not need removed. I removed my cluster in 1971 to have the tach repaired and they didn't calibrate it right. (Local speedometer shop) It needs to come back out but I associate this operation with extreme discomfort and pain. Someday I'll do it in a moment of weakness.

Tom

I removed my cluster in 1971 to have the tach repaired and they didn't calibrate it right. (Local speedometer shop) It needs to come back out but I associate this operation with extreme discomfort and pain.

Tom
I can relate!;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom