Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New FL member restoring a 64' Roadster, piece by piece.

ShawnBeau

Corvette
1964 Stingray Convertible
Hi,

My name's Shawn, new to these forums, I have a 64' convertible that has been sitting in a barn for the last 20 years, and I have it in a large garage now. I will be restoring it piece by piece, now that I have the time. I plan on documenting it in this thread. I will be taking pictures to help out others that get to go through this process, and to ask advice as well. (Setting up a web page right now also).

I want to say thanks in advance for having such helpful and informative resources and good people on here, which made me choose to join these forums. I am sure I will learn a lot from you gents, and the many of you that are aces with these mid-year cars.

My background: I grew up the son of a shade tree hot rod mechanic, and had my share of shade tree repair of late year v-8 chevys out of necessity. I am decently proficient, and know how to use a wrench, and rebuild a carb, and remove a tranny, but certainly do not know everything.

The stats (as I know them) - 64' Convertible, originally Ermine White, posi, manual, have the original block (decked), intake, camel humps, in storage. Currently has a sprint car motor from the late 60's in it (a 350) - not sure what engine it is, but it is a GM, there was a rumor that part of it was from a 69SS Camaro, but no telling for sure until I find a number on it. This car was in the family, and the only major modifications were the 350 block, and the added sidepipes, and a one time really pretty Blue Metalflake paintjob. Car sat for over 20+ years. I rode in it when I was a kid, they had taken the gas tank out of it, and were running fuel out of a can in the passenger seat to keep it going. I remember that day distinctly, even though I was probably 5 years old. I think that may have been one of the last times the car was run, before it was parked alongside a 55' 2 door post. Now 25 years later it is titled in my name, and I am determined to getting it to running project status before the end of this summer.

Some initial pics:

Interesting old-school slotted mags

20-05-10_1454.jpg

Top off of a White / Silver interior c2

20-05-10_1453.jpg

Never seen a 64' vette with a towing package before have ya? (bolted directly to the bumpers...)

20-05-10_1452.jpg

Everything missing from the rear of the fuel system. We are looking up out of where the gas lid would be from underneath the car here...

20-05-10_1450.jpg

Interior? All there but the carpet.

20-05-10_1449.jpg

Two hoods not pictured, the original, and a 65' (I think) with the bubble on top for a big-block and vents on the side.

20-05-10_1448.jpg

First step: seeing if the motor needs to be removed and rebuilt. Figuring out what the heck to do about the fuel system.

May 13th

Got together with a former student of mine's father who retired from working at a Corvette Resto shop. Getting an idea of what is needed first and foremost.

Entire rear fuel system gone, including Fuel tank, sending unit, fuel tank support bracket, all straps and pads.

Engine is frightfully dirty, was supposedly parked with oil in it, and a rag stuffed into the carb.

Good news so far: the car is complete, the rear wheel wells were never cut, and there was indeed some oil on the plugs when I pulled them. Car not rusted out, since it was stored in a dry barn surrounded by dry sand. Bolts are not rotted, underframe has some surface rust rot, but not that bad, the car wasn't beached.

Later, I pulled the plugs out, they indeed had some wet oil still in there, and I flooded the cylinders with PB blaster to let it sit for a week. (yes we are going to see if the engine is actually stuck or if we can get it to turn over).

Ordered a Uniset online, as well as a Spectra made-in-canada gastank, and a decent fuel sending unit. Need to order the other mounting hard ware for the gas tank.

Additonal bad news... the Support Bracket beam is missing for the fuel tank... and it is a $150 piece of metal. :(

This week, ordering the rest of the fuel tank mounting parts etc, and getting a hot battery. Will keep you posted on how this turns out...

BIG project. Looks like you have the advantage of having everything there; even though you will be replacing most of it.

Those look like Ansen Sprint wheels. Nice vintage wheel and if you have all four treat them with Naval Jelly and they will come up looking great.

Have seen that trailer hitch many times. Pull that motor out and do it right the first time. Nothing worse than thinking you have it all straightened out and finishing the car to be coming up with motor problems six months later.

The THRUSH side pipes do nothing for a midyear. JMHO

Looking forward to your updates on this one.

Rich:beer

Wow! Lucky you! Someday owning a Midyear convertible is my dream and has been since I was ten years old. And you've come to the right place for advice and support during the rebuild... these guys know their stuff and are more than willing to share.

Welcome to the :CAC and good luck with your project!
:wJane Ann

have the original block (decked), intake, camel humps, in storage.

20-05-10_1449.jpg

Quite a project. What engine was original? You have high red line tacho, so is this originally L76 car (327/365)?

Quite a project. What engine was original? You have high red line tacho, so is this originally L76 car (327/365)?

Hi, yes the original block is a 327, I think it came with an *optional? upgrade Aluminum intake manifold? Not sure about all that but that is what I was told, and that is what I have sitting on the other side of the garage. The car is a non-air non-power window car.

If we can't get the motor in it to turn next week, I will probably just pull the 350 and start rebuilding the 327 original motor instead. One of my uncles informed me that the 350 currently in it came out of a wrecked competition sprint car, that a fellow hotrodder owned. It had a really aggressive cam in it, and was set up for high compression with pop-up pistons etc. He told me that throwing the car into second gear was damn near deadly if you didn't expect it to take off like a bullet, resulting in an anecdote about he and my father losing control of the car while showboating and it going off the side of an interstate on ramp and into the woods...luckily not hitting anything.

Got the Spectrum tank in the mail... it looks great. Waiting on various fuel system parts right now, and cleaning cleaning cleaning. Will post some more pics soon.

S

BIG project. Looks like you have the advantage of having everything there; even though you will be replacing most of it.

I had planned on replacing all the rubber etc, of course, but out of curiousity, if you have taken on a project of this sort, let me know what "Most" means :D

Those look like Ansen Sprint wheels. Nice vintage wheel and if you have all four treat them with Naval Jelly and they will come up looking great.

The THRUSH side pipes do nothing for a midyear. JMHO

Yep the sidepipes are a bit tacky, but they are there and in decent shape, I only have small chunks of money here and there to throw at the car, (which I consider well spent, because I got the car as a gift, and it is likely that I will never sell it.) so until I decide to try and get it as close to numbers matching in the long run the pipes will be burning unsuspecting legs. I will look into the wheels, I had no idea what they were, but I have a matching set, and they are in very good shape as far as I can tell. Are the Ansen Sprints desirable?

Shawn

I had planned on replacing all the rubber etc, of course, but out of curiousity, if you have taken on a project of this sort, let me know what "Most" means :D

Yep the sidepipes are a bit tacky, but they are there and in decent shape, I only have small chunks of money here and there to throw at the car, (which I consider well spent, because I got the car as a gift, and it is likely that I will never sell it.) so until I decide to try and get it as close to numbers matching in the long run the pipes will be burning unsuspecting legs. I will look into the wheels, I had no idea what they were, but I have a matching set, and they are in very good shape as far as I can tell. Are the Ansen Sprints desirable?

Shawn

I like the Ansen Sprint wheels because I had them on my 69 Dart Swinger 340. When clean they look nice. Not everyone likes them. Your car, your choice.

You got the car for the right price.

As far as my mention of MOST it simply means that you need to clean, clean, clean everything and see what the actual condition is. If you can live with it then you are in good shape. When you discover something you can't live with then save your money and replace it.

Best of luck with your project, sounds like you have a good handle on it. Your own labor is your best friend in this case.

I want to watch this transition as well. Good luck with the resurrection. :w Like Jane Ann, I would really like to find a mid year to do just what you are doing. I miss my old 64.

Circa 1974

1964Corvette5.jpg

Hi, yes the original block is a 327, I think it came with an *optional? upgrade Aluminum intake manifold? Not sure about all that but that is what I was told, and that is what I have sitting on the other side of the garage. The car is a non-air non-power window car.

If we can't get the motor in it to turn next week, I will probably just pull the 350 and start rebuilding the 327 original motor instead. One of my uncles informed me that the 350 currently in it came out of a wrecked competition sprint car, that a fellow hotrodder owned. It had a really aggressive cam in it, and was set up for high compression with pop-up pistons etc. He told me that throwing the car into second gear was damn near deadly if you didn't expect it to take off like a bullet, resulting in an anecdote about he and my father losing control of the car while showboating and it going off the side of an interstate on ramp and into the woods...luckily not hitting anything.

Got the Spectrum tank in the mail... it looks great. Waiting on various fuel system parts right now, and cleaning cleaning cleaning. Will post some more pics soon.

S

Well, I think you got present of your life. You have lot to do, but when it is done you have very high value car. My opnion is that do it as original you can. Use original 327 and all other original parts. And last but not least: Remember drive and enjoy it :thumb

Is your aluminum intake number 3844461?

That gas tank is very interesting part to install. Limited room and quite large part.

Nice find, Having done a 67, I personally would lift the body off this car and do a frame off. Not hard to do and it makes getting to everything so much easier and nicer when your done. Also the gas tank is a piece of cake with the body out of the way. I was going to do mine with the body on, never been sorry I pulled it off. Great car.:thumb

Nice find, Having done a 67, I personally would lift the body off this car and do a frame off. Not hard to do and it makes getting to everything so much easier and nicer when your done. Also the gas tank is a piece of cake with the body out of the way. I was going to do mine with the body on, never been sorry I pulled it off. Great car.:thumb

I know that's good advice, but I am not certain that I have the fiscal means at present to pay for a frame-off. I am looking into it, and perhaps making a hoist off the roof of my Garage, but I am not sure that it would be feasible at this time. And at present I may have to be content on just getting it moving.

Got the sending unit and some other ends in the mail and did some more cleaning. Will post more pics this weekend. Rock and Roll ladies and gents.

I know that's good advice, but I am not certain that I have the fiscal means at present to pay for a frame-off. I am looking into it, and perhaps making a hoist off the roof of my Garage, but I am not sure that it would be feasible at this time. And at present I may have to be content on just getting it moving.

Got the sending unit and some other ends in the mail and did some more cleaning. Will post more pics this weekend. Rock and Roll ladies and gents.

I think Crowvet is suggesting that you do it yourself. But I know not everyone has the place, means, knowledge, gumption, etc, everything to take on a project like that. It's always something that can be done later. :thumb

Radiator seems odd. Is it big block radiator? All small block cars used to have short straight neck for upper radiator hose , but this yours is long and curved. Usually something like that is from 1966 - 67 bb. Maybe from same car where your bb hood came?

Good eyes on that one. I am not sure. I asked a couple family members for some more info about the mods on the car if they recalled anything, and I was told, again that the original owner of it had put a "sprint car" or "race car" motor into it, that had high compression and pop-up pistons etc. I got to hear another anecdote about how driving it on the highway and keeping it under 90 was a challenge. So I think that the radiator being non-original may be a possibility. The mounting looks correct. But any parts like hoses etc were probably not a thought for them back in the day, they just wanted this car to be a ragtop that would blow the doors off anyone they drove by. I am surprised it wasn't wrecked, and certain members in my family seems worried about it even now. :D Now I really want to know what the hell that engine block is. No numbers on the front where they should be.

Good eyes on that one. .... No numbers on the front where they should be.

Too many year with Mid Years and then eyes find funny things :ugh

Have checked numbers rear of the block?

and many more posibilityes

Several things indicate that it is/was a 327/365 car. High rev tach in the dash, radiator appears to be the aluminum that comes on 365, and if the manifold looks to be aluminum, that would jive. Only the numbers will tell...

Shawn: Where in Florida are you located? I live in Tampa and we have lots of local talent and parts sources here. Good luck with the project. Jerry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom