Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How high do you need to get the car...

T

tdr1919

Guys,
I am anticipating pulling my transmission this fall and replacing the clutch components and either trying to replace the 2nd gear syncro and the
bearing in the O/D (4+3 Nash) or having it done.
THE QUESTION is how high do I have to jack the car up to get to everything
and get the transmission out from under the car?
What are some safe methods to achieving this?
Thanks,
Tom

I have always found it fun to jack any corvette. The problem is that the jack points arent as plentiful as other automobiles, nevertheless it can be done. I made some cheap wooden ramps, which consist of three 2x10's sandwiched together to get the entire car a few more inches off the ground so that the floor jack will slide under anywhere. I always lift the front some, and then put it on jack stands, and then go to the rear an lift that slightly higher then the front an put jack stands. I then go back to the front and so forth until I get the car as high as needed. You can jack the front easy enough but the rear is a little more difficult Depending on the exhaust you have, you may or may not be able to jack under the differential. They make adapters to fasten to a floor jack that will clear the depth of the exhaust. Just go slow and be careful and all is well. Oh and another thing, open the doors, pop the hood and the top. This will allow a little body flex.

Craig

This is how I did my 90 when I pulled my auto trans.
Drove it up the ramps first, lifted the rear placed the jack stands then lifted the front a little more and placed the jack stands in the front. It was solid and didn't move.

Upintheair.jpg

JackCchannel.jpg

This is how I did my 90 when I pulled my auto trans.
Drove it up the ramps first, lifted the rear placed the jack stands then lifted the front a little more and placed the jack stands in the front. It was solid and didn't move.

Upintheair.jpg

JackCchannel.jpg

NT,
so what do you figure 1-1/2 feet to the chassis?
Tom

You could say that. There was enough roon to slide the tranny on the pan and just clear the frame. I have now bought 4 6000 lb jack stands and can get it higher. There is an other 8 in left in the stands I could extend if need.

jack2.jpg

I need to make up some steel plates to put under my stands because
my shop floor is asphalt, and the stands will sink into the tar.
Also, those ramps you have are real nice,did you make them yourself?

Tom

They are Rino Ramps. Got thrm from Auto Zone, they just fit under the the front spoiler I could just see you stands sinking into the floor on a hot day!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom