Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How I detailed my engine bay

Thanks, Phill. It’s almost as much fun detailing these beauties as it is driving them... well, that last part may be stretch.

B17Crew
:w
your welcome crew. i bet alot of us spend more time cleaning and working on them then driving them. :w

Ok, I'm embarrassed, your underhood is cleaner than my house! Looks great, I'll volunteer mine, if you need some more practice.

Would this be enough to start with? :L

P1000437.jpg

I used Simple Green and a large bucket of elbow grease to get this:

P1000468.jpg

The aluminum is still one of my problem areas. I'll have to pick up some of the Mother's. What other helpful tips can you offer?

AColbe01,

Thanks for the compliment!

It looks like the Simple Green did a nice job of removing the dirt from your compartment. I don't use any other products other than the four I mentioned for under the hood. I do use various sized brushes and Q-Tips to keep the engine compartment clean.

Through many a trial, I narrowed it down to these four and haven’t had a need to expand my cleaning products.

Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish (Picture of 5 oz can)
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1949_33622349

Mothers web site:Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish
http://www.mothers.com/products/

Meguiars Natural Shine & Rubber Protectant
http://www.meguiars.com/?home-vinyl-...ber-Protectant

303 Aerospace Protectant
http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...TOKEN=57239231

My goal is to keep adding miles to my Corvette and keep it in “as delivered” condition. The true fun is driving these things... taking good care of them is a labor of love.

B17Crew

Crew, I wish I had an engine compartment that looked like yours. Even if I spent the time duplicating your effort, I doubt if my 1994 convertible would look as good. It too is a daily driver during the non snow months, and I try to keep it fairly clean. Unfortunately, I have 0.6 mile of dirt road from the pavement to the driveway, and it is a dusty mountain granite road. The exterior of the corvette is only clean after I get it home and wash it. I have to stop at the beginning of the dirt road and put the top up just to keep the interior clean. The road is at its best after a rain as the dust is minimal. But the wheel wells get caked on wet dirt and granite pieces. So I really appreciate the pics of your engine compartment, but I won't share them with either of my corvettes as they will be very envious and will want the same treatment; you know how some corvettes are.
Barrett

Crew, I wish I had an engine compartment that looked like yours. Even if I spent the time duplicating your effort, I doubt if my 1994 convertible would look as good. It too is a daily driver during the non snow months, and I try to keep it fairly clean. Unfortunately, I have 0.6 mile of dirt road from the pavement to the driveway, and it is a dusty mountain granite road. The exterior of the corvette is only clean after I get it home and wash it. I have to stop at the beginning of the dirt road and put the top up just to keep the interior clean. The road is at its best after a rain as the dust is minimal. But the wheel wells get caked on wet dirt and granite pieces. So I really appreciate the pics of your engine compartment, but I won't share them with either of my corvettes as they will be very envious and will want the same treatment; you know how some corvettes are.
Barrett

Your cars not pewter or silver by chance? Rock-pecks on rockers, front of rear wheels and behind rear wheels, other than creeping along. What have you done?

Andy

Barrett

Barrett, thanks for the compliment!

It sounds like it will be difficult to keep your Corvettes dust free, but that’s ok, gives you an excuse to spend time with them. :upthumbs

Maybe this will help in keeping your Corvettes a little cleaner.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette.html?frame=3.712

B17Crew

Andy - as my avatar and user name imply, both of my corvettes are RED. I have added the splash guards to both, front and rear. I have tried the shields from MAMW on the 94, but they really don't keep fine dust out. I drive very slowly on the granite road, but I still get the rock chips and would you believe it, I have a 5 inch scratch just below the rear side of the passenger door on the rocker panel on both vettes. Happened one year apart. Maybe this is why it is known as a "rocker" panel. And Crew is correct, the dust on the car makes me appreciate the extra time I get to spend on washing and applying Zaino on the corvettes. I love red vehicles, that is why all 6 of mine are red. But I would wash the corvettes every week anyway even if the road was paved. But I really hate the dust that gets on them, but I also love living at 8600 feet in the Colorado mountains, and the drive to and from Denver each day. And with the top down on the 94, it is an indescrible feeling that only a vette owner can experience and appreciate. I hope Patrick is experiencing this feeling when he drives his new C6 with the top down. I was kinda expecting an "ode to the black C6 in the summer" from him by now. And Crew, the kind words from us are well deserved.
Barrett

And Crew, the kind words from us are well deserved.
Barrett

Thanks, Barrett!

You are fortunate to be living in Colorado. I was out there not too long ago, I was overwhelmed with how beautiful CO is.

B17Crew

Thread revival!

Crew - OMG... I can't believe you've lost your photobucket links! :ugh I wonder if an email to the site would be enough to get your account active again???

Lesson to be learned here - login to Photobucket accounts at least once every month or two. ;squint:

:wJane Ann

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom