Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How many miles? So, am I nuts?

He lives in Western PA, where winter arrives in October and lasts through April, that is what keeps our Vettes in the garage. We have a saying here, "if you don't like the weather wait half an hour it'll change."

I bought my 94 back in 2004, it had 96K on it. I didn't use it as a daily driver, but like you, I drove it when ever I could think of a reason to take it out. It had 121K on it when I traded it last May for the 01. I say DRIVE IT.

Mine is a 90 and have 50,000, i tend to drive it more now because like everyones says you need to enjoy it, the value goes down so far but if you keep it looking good and in great mechanical shape it can last well into the 100 thousand area. The C4 is a great looking car and still turns heads. so enjoy it.

Ok, so I can't resist. What keeps yours in the garage all the time? Are you saving it? Or do you not drive *anything* much. Just curious.

93Rubie is correct on weather for sure.
Also mine has a personal connection. I purchased it from a very good friend before he passed away. He ordered the car with the Z07 package and raced it locally. I have known the car from day one, always told him if he wanted to sell it I'd buy it. So for personal reasons I try to keep it nice as a tribute to my good friend. Some of the members on the fourm may know of him great guy and Corvette nut.... Bob McClure.

tcxd40

Only time I would not drive it is if it’s raining! All the problems I have had with my 95 are from rain. 130k and still running strong!

If I had a European exotic that was high strung and needed $6,500 15,000 mile service calls, I might think twice about driving every chance I got. The Vette is a Chevy, and Chevy's can last a long time and many miles. Why have it if you can't drive it? My Ron Fellows Z06 is a limited edition, and might be worth some money some day, and I get lots of static from collectors for putting miles on it...it might ruin it's value at Barrett Jackson in 2025. Like I care. I'll let whoever owns it then worry about it. Cars are to expensive to buy, insure, maintain etc to have them sit in a garage. I'd say drive it like you stole it is good advice.

Yeah, I'm convinced!
Hey, I like your avitar. Candlesticks make a good gift! Breath through your eyelids! :cool

Also mine has a personal connection. I purchased it from a very good friend before he passed away. He ordered the car with the Z07 package and raced it locally. I have known the car from day one, always told him if he wanted to sell it I'd buy it. So for personal reasons I try to keep it nice as a tribute to my good friend. Some of the members on the fourm may know of him great guy and Corvette nut.... Bob McClure.

tcxd40
Hey, makes sense. And, trust me, living in New England I'm familiar with the phrase "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute!".

Our season is short here too. I tend to stretch it and break it the 'Vette early and keep it out late, but that's just me. I do the same with my boat!

Thanks for the reply.

I bought my 94 back in 2004, it had 96K on it. I didn't use it as a daily driver, but like you, I drove it when ever I could think of a reason to take it out. It had 121K on it when I traded it last May for the 01. I say DRIVE IT.

:beer
Yeah baby. I'm getting the encouragement I need!

Drive it!

I bought my 92 with 87k mi on it almost 4 yrs ago. A co-worker of my wife owned it for about 9 yrs and only logged about 20k miles. A previous owner put the first 60k on it.

I went through the car when I bought it. Fixing annoying little things that needed attention. Fault codes, engine clean up and new ignition parts. I did a few other things for piece of mind. Clutch, radiator, water pump. And put a new suspension under it for driving fun. It now has 120k miles. I'm not afraid to drive it anywhere as long as the weather is nice and the road is good. And the best part is its still pretty darn quick for 18 an yr old car that has never had any engine work.

Yeah, I'm convinced!
Hey, I like your avitar. Candlesticks make a good gift! Breath through your eyelids! :cool

Don't think Meat - throw the ball.

tcxd40

tcxd40,

Don't keep that Corvette in the garage and save it for a future owner!! :nono You can certainly keep it nice and drive it, too. It is not likely to become a collectible like a mid-year or a special model. Enjoy it!! :)

Elaine

tcxd40,

Don't keep that Corvette in the garage and save it for a future owner!! :nono You can certainly keep it nice and drive it, too. It is not likely to become a collectible like a mid-year or a special model. Enjoy it!! :)

Elaine

There will be no future owner as in a person, NCM will end up with the car when the time comes...

There will be no future owner as in a person, NCM will end up with the car when the time comes...

IMHO a more fitting tribute to your friend would be driving it as much as possible. Maybe he'd rather look down on you driving with a big smile than seeing it sit in the garage?:beer

Mine is a daily driver... I have 257k on the clock and still going strong... cars are meant to be driven in my opinion....

cor041.jpg

Mine is a daily driver... I have 257k on the clock and still going strong... cars are meant to be driven in my opinion....

cor041.jpg

Wow. :thumb Looks great! After how many miles did you replace the clutch? (or is yours an automatic?) What else have you had to do to keep 'er on the road?

Wow. :thumb Looks great! After how many miles did you replace the clutch? (or is yours an automatic?) What else have you had to do to keep 'er on the road?

the usual stuff... brakes, several sets of tires, oil changes, battery.... then the stuff that wears out, water pump, headlight motors, window guides, the original opti went out at 185k, the original starter went out at 256k... I had my steering column pins replaced... if there is any play in your steering column you might want to get those pins replaced.... if they break, you have no steering.....

Its been a reliable car for over 8 yrs, and as I said, I drive it daily, rain, or shine.... I have had it repainted twice.... once cause I wanted it, the second time because road debris messed up my front end.....
imported7-2-09064.jpg

imported7-2-09074.jpg

imported7-2-09072.jpg

imported7-2-09070.jpg

My Ruby had 103,000 when I sold it to my brother (6 speed coupe). He has put very few miles on it in 2 years. I plan on talking him into a C5 so that I can buy it back.
My 92 Z07 has 126,000 and is my wife's daily driver and our traveling car (automatic coupe). In fact I just washed a weeks worth of salt off it. Replaced the opti at 117,000 miles (It has a Sept 91 born on date #1349), so it is safe to assume it had been replaced during an early recall. I think it had a hard life before me.
Both cars have run autox and run very well, using no oil.
Like Tuna says, if maintained, there is very little wear on the LT1. If you talk to engine builders because you want an extra hundred horses or so, even with 100k on them, they often will say you need not pull the engne. The bottom end should hold up just fine.
Nobody on their death bed ever said "I wish I didn't put so many miles on my Corvette."

P.S. A good friend of mine says "hell - drive it like you stole it!". Seems like good advice to me.

P.P.S Another friend said "Hell - not driving your corvette is like not having sex with your girlfriend because you want to save her for the next guy!" :)

So what say you? Thanks.

Great advice!

Replaced the opti at 117,000 miles (It has a Sept 91 born on date #1349), so it is safe to assume it had been replaced during an early recall.

I purchased my 92 Coupe new in November 91. The recall for my opti was a venting kit. The first ones were not vented at all. It is quite possible your opti was never replaced. 117,000 miles on your opti is very normal. I have seen many go even more miles before replacement.

I know I have said this before, but I will say it again: The opti is the most undeserving maligned part on an LT1/4 engine. Misdiagnosed many times. Does keep the builders of optis in business, though! :boogie

Hey folks. I'm new to this forum and I want your opinions!
I've got a 1992 dark green C4 that's been great fun:

smvette.jpg

Yeah! Another GM Polo Green! :thumb

Have fun with it- don't worry about the miles. Enjoy it while you can. What inspires you should drive you- not worrying about hiding it away and wishing you drove it more.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom