Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How much is to much for the street?

A 540 block is the same external size as a 396,427, and 454, and as u probably know, our cars came with big blocks in the late 60's early 70's. It is basically a stroked 502 block. The bore is 4.5 inches and the stroke has been increased from 4.0" to 4.25". How do they fit such a big bore u ask. The bores are siamesed in a 502 block, similar to the 400 small block. The big block itself is not all that bigger than a small block in my opinion.
I just wish price of gas would quit going up! Well at least gasoline is still available.

A 540 block is the same external size as a 396,427, and 454, and as u probably know, our cars came with big blocks in the late 60's early 70's. It is basically a stroked 502 block. The bore is 4.5 inches and the stroke has been increased from 4.0" to 4.25". How do they fit such a big bore u ask. The bores are siamesed in a 502 block, similar to the 400 small block. The big block itself is not all that bigger than a small block in my opinion.
I just wish price of gas would quit going up! Well at least gasoline is still available.

Ohhh OK that makes more sense. Good luck on your build!

:beer

Did you get that puppy running yet? You blow this motor and I'm coming down and helping you shove a big block in there. :D

Hey man... what's happening. I finished tearing down the block last night and now I have a bunch of good parts to sell. Also working on the engine compartment scrubbing, scrubing and more scrubbing and then painting.

I iwll give you a call this weekend.

Oh yea bring that big block with you when you come down.:rotfl

:beer

76 Sting,
have you thought about AFR heads?? i assume you are looking at aluminum for a race 383. the the 195 heads are offered in 65 and 75 cc chambers. the deck is plenty thick to machine down to 72cc if desired. the 195's w/ race ready porting work real well on 383's. if you want a larger runner, they also have the 210cc head with same options. worth checking out if you're still looking for heads. i love my 210's on my 406. as for playing with gasket thickness or deck height to get a specific comp ratio, it is far better to zero deck your block and run the standard 39 thou thick gasket. going thicker or dropping your pistons deep in the bore screw up your quench and you end up with weird flame patterns that kill performance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom